<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Sarafoski
Late 2010 MacbookPro
on Mar 5, 2011 at 11:22:30 pm

I have a late 2010 17-inch Macbook Pro:
  • 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 processor
  • 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 7200 RPM internal Drive
And use a 1 TB Taurus drive (RADE0) via Firewire 800 to edit from.

Most of the material I edit is either shot on a Sony Z7 (which I log and transfer as Apple PrRes 422) or a Canon 5D (which I transcode to Apple ProRes 422 LT).

I've found i'm unable to scrub the ProRes 422 files as smoothly as the LT's ones, so what I'm having to do is transcode the ProRes 422 to LT (using Media Manager) just so I can scrub the timeline without that strobing feel.

I'm curious to know, if I attached a unit like a SmartStor NSx700 and connected via the PCI express slot as eSATA, will I be able to scrub ProRes 422 files more smoothly?

Are there other options/solutions that can be suggesed?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Late 2010 MacbookPro
on Mar 5, 2011 at 11:52:08 pm

I work with FW800 drives a lot with ProRes422 files @25fps. They are just fast enough, but If you are working at higher frame rates, they may be marginal. Certainly esata will give much better performance in scrubbing, and other RT work.

LT is a lower data rate so is easier on an FW800 drive as you have discovered.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 6, 2011 at 12:37:16 am

On a 2007 MacPro I edit ProRes all the time right off various client FW800 drives. Never a hiccup. I also have a graid that for a year I used as a fw800 drive. It never flinched. FW 800 should be plenty hearty for a single rt stream. Scrubbing shouldn't be a problem either. Maybe the fw800 on MacBooks isn't really getting the full data rate. You want to turn off scopes, and any overlays for smooth scrubbing you know.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 6, 2011 at 3:33:42 am

I'm in a 17" from 2007 and no problems with Prores on FW800.
A bit of maintenance (Permissions and Directories) is always good to start with on those cases.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Tony Sarafoski
on Mar 6, 2011 at 11:18:52 am

Reply to Michael Gissing: I'm not disagreeing with you, personally I like the smoothness when scrubbing ProRes LT. I feel like I'm scrubbing through every frame rather than every 2nd or 3rd frame when working with ProRes 422. Does that make sense...?

Reply to Bret Williams: I download HD Speed Test and ran the Taurus drive through it paces. Outcome below....

Results on a 512M file:
  • File size: 512M
  • Footage Type: 1080P HDV
  • MB/s: 56.3
  • fps: 45
  • Streams: 2
Results on a 1G file:
  • File size: 1G
  • Footage Type: 1080P HDV
  • MB/s: 58.0
  • fps: 55.7
  • Streams: 2
I'm guess the above results are fine...? if not can you suggest software I can run and do further tests...?

Reply to Rafael Amador s: I've tried that several times. The permissions do return with errors (which I repair) but at this stage I can't really afford to do a reformat.

To be absolutely honest with you, I'm hoping the specs of this MBP will comply with the up and coming FCP, which is when I plan to do a format and a re-install of all my software.

In the mean time will I benefit in a big way by adding a SmartStor NSx700 tower and connecting via the PCI express slot as eSATA....?

Will this help with the smoothness of scrubbing ProRes 422...?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 6, 2011 at 3:30:52 pm

Forget HD SpeedTest.

Download AJA's Speed test, designed specifically for Video, and let's measure your drive!
(Change the preferences to streams or FPS)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Tony Sarafoski
on Mar 8, 2011 at 1:39:59 am

Reply to Jeff Greenberg: Jeff as per your instructions, I downloaded the AJA speed test and got the following results.

AJA-128MB

AJA-256MB

AJA-512MB

Apple ProRes White Paper chart:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order for me to be able to smoothly run with Apple ProRes 422 files, my editing drives need to sustain a data rate of 122 MB/s.

From what I can see my Taurus drive reads & writes at approximately 70-80 MB/s which is under Apples requirements...? From what I can see, even LT only just scrapes through on this drives...!

For the time been (till I find a better solution) I've been transcoding the ProRes 422 files as ProRes 422 (Proxy) which are scrubbing beautifully.

Where to now...! what options do I have?

I honestly don't won't to be transcoding to proxy every time, and although most would argue that it's possible to still cut ProRes 422 on my current MBP, personally I'd like to have the smoothness of what I've experienced with the proxy files, with the ProRes 422 ones :-)

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 8, 2011 at 3:42:14 am

That's thorough and you get the 'why' the AJA speed test is so valuable. And it shows exactly what you're experience.

Yes, esata can sustain the data rate (so can FW 800 for that matter...and possibly 400) What's now important is the speed of your drives. The other choice is to use a Raid 0....

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 8, 2011 at 4:08:11 am

The AJA utility is measuring performance in MB/s ... thats Mega Bytes per second
The ProRes white paper is stating speeds in Mb/s ... thats Mega bits per second

If your Taurus drive is measuring 70 MB/s that is equal to 560 Mb/s (1 Byte = 8 bits) ... thats not bad for FW800 which gas a theoretical limit of 800 Mb/s (100MB/s).

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 8, 2011 at 4:29:59 am

Great catch. Yeah, what he said. :D

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 6, 2011 at 11:55:30 am

[Tony Sarafoski] "Are there other options/solutions that can be suggesed?"

You might try unchecking "Scrub High Quality" in the RT menu. When this option is deselected, video displayed in the Canvas is determined by the current Playback Video Quality setting ... switch that to Dynamic and that should allow you to improve responsiveness during scrubbing.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 6, 2011 at 9:02:15 pm

If your speed check is accurate for video, then you are not getting great speed from the drive. It is fine for HDV, which is the codec you were testing for but ProRes422 would be marginal on that drive.

So yes esata would be much better.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Mar 6, 2011 at 11:30:38 pm

Hi there, I have an older MacBook Pro (dual 2.33 with 3GB on 10.5.8) running FCS2 (FCP6) with 2-3 FW800 drives. I transcode my DSLR footage to ProRes422 or 422 HQ (I don't care for LT) and I have issues with long render times (older machine, sigh), but no issues with scrubbing the timeline once renders are done. Could be an RT issue?

Also, check your Activity Monitor. Where's your biggest memory/CPU hog? There are tons of tricks for freeing up memory. Maybe you need an RT box?

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]