FORUMS: list search recent posts

Livetype text and fcp compatability

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ina Clausen
Livetype text and fcp compatability
on Mar 4, 2011 at 8:39:43 am

I have been working on a short coorporate film in HD. It involves texts that grow larger on a white background. I have had a fair share of challenges doing this project - getting formats, frames and codecs right.
Eventually I ended up editing the project using these sequence presets as they matched 90 % of my material. I had to convert one 25 fr animation to 29.97 to make it all work on the same timeline but ended up with this:

FCP 7
fr 29.97 progressive
1920x1080 square px
compressor: Photo JPEG

I managed to edit the film despite the annoying non-realtime JPEG codec and eventually it was time to put on the "growing" text. (where dark grey text is growing larger on a white background)

For that I used Livetype. I made sure the settings in livetype matched the sequence settings so my livetype settings were these:

fr 29.97 progressive
1920x1080
pxl aspect 1
w resolution 96 dpi
h resolution 96 dpi
Quality for canvas, render and preview all set to normal. No background - I used a solid white in fcp
grid width 25px

But making the texts I found that in the project it looked pixelated around the edges. Why?
I played around with settings and tried a 200 dpi on both h and w but that gave me a very very wide screen despite still having the 1920x1080 format. So I set the format to 2083x1080 and the dpi to 100 for both width and hight.
And Voila - it looks like my problem is fixed. The text now looks sharp.

Now my question is - why did these settings work. What is it about the relationship between text in livetype and in FCP that I need to understand to prevent such a problem in the future? Why does it work for the format to be 2000x1080 when the project settings are 1920x1080?

Thanks in advance.

Ina Clausen
Videojournalist (VJ)
LeadIT ApS
Odense, Denmark

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Livetype text and fcp compatability
on Mar 4, 2011 at 9:41:44 am

[Ina Clausen] "w resolution 96 dpi
h resolution 96 dpi"

This should be 72 dpi.
Is the standard for any computer screen.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]