FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preparing Video For Display

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis Stevenson
Preparing Video For Display
on Mar 3, 2011 at 6:56:17 am

This morning I started editing a really simple project; take boring speech footage, transition in slides at the right moments. Everything was running smoothly, the only thing that needed to render was two types of transitions which took about 1 second each time I used them.

I came back to finish a few hours later and now it's a lot slower and I keep getting the message Preparing Video For Display at random times. I think it has something to do with running too many applications or something, but i haven't done anything on my computer since i stopped using it this morning.
What could be causing this and what are some ways to fix it?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Preparing Video For Display
on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:23:47 am

Hard Drive nearly Full?
Media on OS Drive?
Editing off USB drive?

What are your video settings?
Where is the media?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Louis Stevenson
on Mar 4, 2011 at 2:13:24 am

Hi. I cleared a bunch of space on my HD and things did speed up. No i'm not editing off an external or usb. Now, just as things were back on track, another, more annoying problem started. Before, I was able to just put the slide over the video and it didn't need to render at all. Now, it does.
I don't know why this just started happening but it is taking a lot longer.
Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Mar 5, 2011 at 4:31:19 pm

Hey Louis,

"Preparing video for display" is a message that pops up when FCP is caching still images into RAM. The amount of RAM FCP sets aside for stills is controlled in the preferences. If your timeline now wants to render all your stills, it means FCP is no longer able to set aside the amount of RAM you've requested. Try lowering the still image cache, and/or rebooting.

If your stills are really large (over 4000 pixels in either dimension), it could also be causing problems. If you search the forum, you'll find lots of tips for optimal still image workflow.

Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 6, 2011 at 3:05:16 am

Another thing you'll want to watch for Louis is having too many sequences open ... although they are not active / displayed, FCP still needs to pre-load them so they can be instantly ready whenever you switch to them. If you have multiple working sequences in your project then consider closing those you are not actively using, opening them from the Browser only if and when you do actually need them, rather than keeping them open as tabs in the timeline/canvas.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Luis Dechtiar
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:25:27 pm

I have a sequence with a lot of text (subtitles) and it was doing the "Preparing Video for Display" message basically every time I clicked on something new. It also started requiring Rendering on everything. What I did was switch the Playback Video Quality to Low, and now both problems are resolved. Maybe that would help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]