FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still Rendering Issue (Out of Memory, etc)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arya Boustani
Still Rendering Issue (Out of Memory, etc)
on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:20:26 am

Hi there,

I found postings regarding rendering problems with more than 4 mega pixel still images. The same problems occurred to me (stills of 6 to 7 mega pixels but I needed high resolution images because I automate the zoom quite a bit and I have a full HD project. I kept RT Safe mode, changed the Still Cache to higher number (around 50 percent) and all the preview render green line changed to red. Then started making selections of few minutes in each attempt (setting the in to out, alt-A) and rendering the selection. It seems it is working without reducing the resolution. I thought I share this incident in FCP forum.

I have a 4 GB RAM and I don't know if people get the same error if they have higher RAM. It is interesting that FCP only allocates 2560 MB memory to the application at 100% memory usage.

Thanks for reading.
Happy editing.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Still Rendering Issue (Out of Memory, etc)
on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:22:46 am

FCP is limited in RAM it can allocate. Do your moves in AE or Motion, make quicktime moves and bring those into FCP

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Mar 3, 2011 at 1:27:58 pm

a. use a Compositer -> AE/Motion
b. Wait for FCP8

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Mar 5, 2011 at 4:43:52 pm

[Arya Boustani] "I found postings regarding rendering problems with more than 4 mega pixel still images. The same problems occurred to me (stills of 6 to 7 mega pixels but I needed high resolution images because I automate the zoom quite a bit and I have a full HD project. I kept RT Safe mode, changed the Still Cache to higher number (around 50 percent) and all the preview render green line changed to red"

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the rule of thumb is to not use images that exceed 4000 px in either dimension (which is not the same as saying 4 megapixels).

My experience is that you can never set the Still Cache to 50%. The crappy thing is, FCP won't really give you a reliable error message, it will just fail to allocate any memory for real-time stills. Depending on what your system is doing, I've found the highest your can go is 20-30%, give or take a few percentage points. Turn your Cache down, and your green line should come back.

Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]