FORUMS: list search recent posts

Enable Final Cut Studio color correction option

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis Basslines
Enable Final Cut Studio color correction option
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:32:21 pm

I know this keeps coming up. I need a little help.

Where can I find Enable Final Cut Studio color correction option. I have QT 10? I am exporting from fcp 6.0.6 using current settings. When I open the QT file it looks washed out. When I reimport back to fcp it looks exactly as it should.

At the moment my workflow is this.

Export QT as movie, current settings (QT looks a little washed out)

Drag exported file into Mpeg streamclip, test part of clip output to H264x and tweak Mpeg streamclip settings till the Exported H264x looks the same as FCP.

Comnplete full export in Mpeg streamclip to H264x with tweaked settings.

I am using OS 10.6.6 with gamma 2.2 but cant work out how to enable QT to view fcp color ?

Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz Intel core duo 4GB ram OS10.6.6
FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

John VonMutius
Re: Enable Final Cut Studio color correction option
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:54:46 pm

There is no 'QT color' or 'FCP color', there is only codec color space and compression. So, what codec is your original footage and what codec are you exporting? Codecs have sometimes wildly different color spaces and ways of interpreting color pixels.

---
Exploring the pitfalls of the 5D workflow. The many, many pitfalls...

Return to posts index

Louis Basslines
on Mar 2, 2011 at 9:12:21 pm

timeline is pro res 422 , exporting as QT with current settings. The QT looks washed out.

is enable final cut color tick box a FCP 7 thing ?

FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Mar 2, 2011 at 10:43:43 pm

Use the Color Correction tools available to you in FCP.
Filters.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Louis Basslines
on Mar 2, 2011 at 10:59:11 pm

All grading and color has been locked off and looks great in FCP. I am specifically talking about the QT export.

FCP 6.0.6

Return to posts index

David Foster
on Mar 3, 2011 at 2:53:56 am

Do you have Quicktime 7 installed?

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 3, 2011 at 6:07:38 am

[Louis Basslines] "Where can I find Enable Final Cut Studio color correction option. I have QT 10?"

There is no such option in QT 10 Louis, you need to install Quicktime Player 7 which is an optional install on your original Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) installation disc. If and when installed then you should find Quicktime Player 7 in your /Applications/Utilities folder ... the "Enable Final Cut Studio color compatibility" option is then found in the General tab of the application's Preferences window.

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

John VonMutius
on Mar 3, 2011 at 2:06:55 pm

I've never used that feature in Quicktime 7 (enable Final Cut Studio color correction) and I can't imagine what good it is unless you're reviewing your own videos for accuracy. Once you output it, the color is locked in to the codec. Everyone who views it, whether on their computer or a television, will have very different color settings and gamma settings, so changing how YOU view it in QT 7 will not really help you achieve your end goal. You need to test it in a real-world environment using the final output movie.

---
Exploring the pitfalls of the 5D workflow. The many, many pitfalls...

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 3, 2011 at 2:27:13 pm

Hi John, the purpose of this feature is so that users working with FCS apps but reviewing and/or previewing clips outside of the suite (in Quicktime 7) will be able to see those clips with the same color reproduction as they would see within the FCS suite . For many its a valid and useful feature.
Hope that helps
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]