FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Filters in Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Boshoff
Video Filters in Final Cut Pro 7
on Mar 2, 2011 at 5:38:54 pm

I’m editing a short film in Final Cut Pro 7, and would like to stylize and add some video filters to the film as a whole. My trouble is that I am working on a very tight schedule and loads of clips. Can anyone please tell me if/how I could go about adding a video filter to all the clips simultaneously as opposed to adding that filter to each clip individually? Also, if I can do this, will I be able to change said filter settings so that it takes effect in every clip in the time line?

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Video Filters in Final Cut Pro 7
on Mar 2, 2011 at 6:01:10 pm

The thing to do is set up the effect on one clip, tweaking the filter(s) to your liking, then copy that clip, loop the rest of the clips and Past Attributes onto them (selecting filters in the check box).

Return to posts index

John VonMutius
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:52:38 pm

Two ways to do this, in addition to what Andrew said. First, put your filter on one clip and tweak it until it looks good. Then, with that effect selected, go to Effects > Make Favorite Effect. Now, this filter with all its settings will be in your Favorites folder in the Effects window. Select all the clips on your timeline that you want to apply the filter to, then either drag the effect from your Favorites folder, or go to Effects > Favorite > Your Effect. This will apply it to all the clips you have selected.

Now, if you want the filter to auto-update on every clip without having to re-copy and re-paste it, the only way is to nest your edited sequence in a new sequence and apply the filter to that. However, this applies the filter to EVERY clip on every track. So, for instance, if you have video clips on Track 1 that should all have the filter applied, and some graphics on Track 2 that don't need the filter, just nest everything in Track 1 in its own sequence. (Select everything on the track, then go to Sequence > Nest Item.)

---
Exploring the pitfalls of the 5D workflow. The many, many pitfalls...

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:37:18 pm

Oh, and you can drag an effect from the viewer window into the browser (rename it, put it in a bin for effects you want to repeat), then drag it onto another clip....

Return to posts index

Chris Wiggles
on Mar 4, 2011 at 6:40:59 am

This is a really nifty idea to add some flexibility to adjustments that I had never considered. I'll have to come up with an excuse to need to do that...

Anyway, thanks for the idea! :)

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Paul Boshoff
on Mar 8, 2011 at 4:06:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your imput. Helped me out a lot. All the best in your further endeavours.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]