FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing pulldown from HDCAM tape

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan McLean
Removing pulldown from HDCAM tape
on Mar 2, 2011 at 2:21:37 am

Hey all,

I'm dealing with footage that was shot on HDCAM in 24p...but then because we had to be broadcast friendly it was captured into Avid at 60i, through the Frame Converter on an HDCAM deck. I'm not the online editor, I'm not the one that makes these decisions, I'm just one that deals with them.

Well we work in both Avid and Final Cut. So now I have these ProRes files with a strange pulldown on them that I don't know how to remove.

I know what pulldown is, but I'd hardly call myself a pulldown expert. I've toyed around with the reverse telecine button in Cinema Tools, but I can't figure out how to get it to pull the telecine off these clips.

So here's what they appear to look like.

A-B-C-CD-DE--A-B-C-CD-DE--A-B-C-CD-DE

Where CD and DE are "combed" frames that don't look very good to me.

So a standard 3:2 pulldown, right? So how can I get cinema tools to convert my CD-DE frame back into just a "D" frame? Am I missing something? Because I wouldn't be surprised if I were missing something.

Thanks all,

Return to posts index

Mike Krause
Re: Removing pulldown from HDCAM tape
on Mar 2, 2011 at 5:42:32 am

That pattern you noted is definitely not "normal" pulldown. SMPTE "A frame" pulldown looks like this (when viewing fields): AA-BB-BC-CD-DD.

You can use Cinema Tools to remove it, but you've got to know what you're doing as it is destructive - i.e. it changes the master file. So work from copies if needed to figure out the right pattern to assign.

Another alternative is JES Deinterlacer, which also works like a charm.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: moving pulldown from HDCAM tape
on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:43:19 pm

What Ryan is describing is 3:2 pulldown. He might have the letters mixed up, but it's 3:2 none the less.

My question to you, Ryan, is why go through this hassle? Before we get in to pulldown removal, just curious as to what you're trying to achieve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]