FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cutting clips before rewrapping??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Applewhite
Cutting clips before rewrapping??
on Mar 1, 2011 at 11:38:45 pm

Hey guys, I've got a question about some footage that I want to send to clipwrap for import into FCP. I shot a tutorial the other day and did several takes of each segment and am going to choose the best take of each segment to edit for use. The problem is I didnt stop and restart recording at the end of each take. Is there any way to cut the clips before sending to clipwrap so I don't have to send the entire file? Thanks for help and yes I learned a lesson here... -J-

Return to posts index

John VonMutius
Re: Cutting clips before rewrapping??
on Mar 2, 2011 at 4:02:21 pm

What format is the footage in? Tapeless? Tape? How did you import it?

---
Exploring the pitfalls of the 5D workflow. The many, many pitfalls...

Return to posts index

John Applewhite
on Mar 2, 2011 at 4:47:15 pm

Thanks John, the footage is on a cf card and I am importing with a firewire card reader.

Return to posts index

John VonMutius
on Mar 2, 2011 at 6:14:31 pm

Sorry, then. FCP has an auto-detect scene change feature for DV, but I'm pretty sure it needs date/time and timecode information for that. You could try it, though. Otherwise, I think you'll need to cut it manually. If it's any help, though, here's a technique I've used for quickly separating a clip into segments:

1. Open the clip in the Viewer.
2. Place a marker ('M' key or '`' key) at each stop/start point
3. In the Browser, you will now see a twirl-down arrow next to the clip name. Twirl it open and you'll see a list of all the markers you just made.
4. Select all the markers (name each take, if you want), then go to Modify > Make Subclip or press CMD+U, and each marker will be converted to a subclip with the in point being the marker itself and the out point being the next marker in the clip.

After that, you can just Batch Export the subclips, check "Use Item In and Out Point" and you should have all your takes separated.

Hope this helped make your job a bit easier.

---
Exploring the pitfalls of the 5D workflow. The many, many pitfalls...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 3, 2011 at 2:22:01 am

[John Applewhite] "Is there any way to cut the clips before sending to clipwrap so I don't have to send the entire file?"
This "Voltaic" application may be your solution:
http://mac1080hd.com/
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]