FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG 2 w/ AC3 audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Christian
MPEG 2 w/ AC3 audio
on Mar 1, 2011 at 8:14:56 pm

Hello,
I am currently editing in final cut pro 6. I am trying to complete a project where the final file meets these specifications, MPEG 2 with AC3 audio. I tried it in compressor, but I ended up with separate files. I tried MPEG Stream clip also and failed. Does anyone know how to go from a standard definition time line in final cut to a final singular file that is both MPEG 2 and AC3.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: MPEG 2 w/ AC3 audio
on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:07:09 pm

What's being done to the files later? Making MPEG 2 video and AC3 audio in two separate files is just fine for authoring DVDs. You may have to do nothing if your stuff's going to DVD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew Christian
on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:34:39 am

Actually, the video is then being aired on Comcast On-Demand and they require it to be a singular file that I send to them via filezilla.

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 31, 2014 at 4:52:04 pm

Hi Dave:

I'm having the same issue today. I rendered my video as DVD Architect. I read that I needed to render audio separately, so I rendered audio as Dolby AC-3. Now I have a movie that plays without audio in the Apple Quicktime MPG 2 player for Windows . The AC-3 file won't play because I don't have a platform that supports it. I tried to open it in ITunes and it won't open there either. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:20:12 am

If its a simple thing of having them multiplexed and it isn't too long, you could just author a dvd, then copy the .vob file and rename it .mpg

crude but it works, unless the file is split into multiple vobs then it won't work.

if you have a pc in your office you can take the .mpg & .ac3 and multiplex it with tsmuxer or tmpgenc.

Return to posts index

Matthew Christian
on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:37:34 am

I do have a PC computer but I am unfamiliar with multiplex. I will try the DVD short cut, but this file is being delivered to Comcast On-Demand and I am worried about losing quality.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 2, 2011 at 5:54:01 pm

if it's for Comcast that might not work then. (renaming the .vob)

do you have Adobe media encoder?
comes free with after effects cs4 and other adobe video products.

It does a great job and I use that for Comcast tv spot encoding.

you should be able to use mpeg stream clip though to mux those files together. multiplexing = combining the .m2v & .ac3 into 1 file.

Are you absolutely certain comcast wants .ac3 audio?
My recent spec sheet from them only accepts mpeg layer II audio.

They also accept h.264 quicktime files at the automatic bitrate setting.

Return to posts index

Matthew Christian
on Mar 2, 2011 at 9:15:13 pm

I do not have After effects but I do have MPEG Stream clip. I didn't know one could multiplex them that way. Does it make the file a transport stream like Comcast requires. I'll give it a try.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:12:09 am

yes it can make a transport stream.

if both video and audio files have the same name you can open the video file with mpeg stream clip and it should automatically pick up the sound too.

then export as a .ts from the export menu.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:23:39 am

oops. wait a sec.

you did it with mpeg stream clip and it failed?

That should actually work. I've done that to multiplex HD video streams and had them air successfully on DirecTV, so I know it works.

What steps did you take that failed?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]