FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smooth Cam FCP doesn't work with all cameras?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Weinstein
Smooth Cam FCP doesn't work with all cameras?
on Feb 28, 2011 at 6:23:45 am

Hi, I am just wondering if there is a reason why the smooth cam filter doesn't work well with certain cameras. I've notices so far on the Canon 5D, 7D, T1, that it sort of adds a skew, like the footage wobbles between a convex and concave perspective (i'm having trouble describing it) but anyway it doesn't look good. What's the best way to get around this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Smooth Cam FCP doesn't work with all cameras?
on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:15:19 am

Hi Laura,
You met the famous "Rolling Shutter" issue. Happens when you move very fast the camera.
The Reason: The way CMOS are charged and read.
You can reduce the effect by raising the shutter speed.
There are tons of literature about.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:38:41 pm

[Rafael Amador] "You met the famous "Rolling Shutter" issue. "

Laura,

Lock & Load, a similar image stabilizer filter, from Coremelt, has a feature that supposedly counters the rolling shutter issue. Try their demo and see if it woks for you before buying.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Feb 28, 2011 at 6:34:37 pm

Hey thanks so I've downloaded it and I'm using it. It works decent but there's a lot of things I feel I need to know to improve the results. I've read the help manual but I'm still wondering about a few things.

How do I decide when to use stabilize only, shutter reduction only, or both? I still find a lot of the shots equally wobbly then they were before. Some are better but some not so.

Do you have any suggestions for getting the best results from this filter?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Feb 28, 2011 at 6:37:54 pm

oh one more thing:

what's super frustrating is that the camera I used (Canon T1I) is not on the list. I cannot add it because the "a" key doesn't work on my computer and I always copy and paste "a's" when I type. though it doesn't allow you to copy and paste in the text box where I'm supposed to type in "Canon". If my footage was shot in 30fps is there another camera preset there like the 7D I could use instead?

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Feb 28, 2011 at 6:56:51 pm

Surprisingly, iMovie has a setting to clean up rolling shutter a bit. Some people have had success using this and then stabilizing their footage. Now if only Final Cut could learn a little from iMovie.

tony

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 28, 2011 at 6:57:39 pm

Laura,

I'm certainly no expert on Lock & Load. I'd suggest that you go to the Coremelt website or to the Coremelt Forum here on the Cow. Here's the link to the forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/coremelt

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Mar 1, 2011 at 3:59:07 am

I cannot agree more. The Coremelt team is very helpful.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]