FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems converting HDV to ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Koto
Problems converting HDV to ProRes
on Feb 27, 2011 at 11:55:25 pm

I'm having trouble with artifacts when converting HDV clips into ProRes. I have a project where I need to combine HDV and Canon 5D footage (both shot at 30P). The 5D footage is in ProRes(LT). The HDV footage (shot on a Canon HV30) is showing really bad artifacts and motion jitteres when converting to ProRes(LT), it looks much worse than the original HDV. Here's what I've been using for the conversion:

Compressor: 3.5.3
Apple > Formats > Quicktime > Apple ProRes 422 (LT)

I'm aware of the 1440 vs. 1920 difference with HDV. But the artifacts show up even when I keep the ProRes(LT) output at the original 1080*1440. The image gets worse still if I attempt to go to ProRes(LT) 1080*1920.

The only partial solution I've found is editing native HDV in the same sequence as the 5D ProRes(LT) footage with the sequence render set to ProRes(LT). When I render and export the HDV footage looks "Ok", but there is still noticeable quality loss. I'm also concerned about editing a 30 minute film mixing HDV and ProRes(LT) in the same sequence, as this can be processor intensive.

I've already captured about 11hrs of HDV footage, so would prefer not to go back and capture to ProRes via firewire unless this is the only solution?

Does anyone have advice on the best workflow for high quality conversion of HDV to ProRes? Use compressor, what settings? Edit HDV and render in FCP?

Thanks

Here's a close up of the original HDV:

Here's a close up after conversion to ProRes, note the problems between the blue and white:

iMac 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB SDRAM, Final Cut Pro: 7.0.3

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Problems converting HDV to ProRes
on Feb 28, 2011 at 2:58:28 am

ProRes LT is a bad choice. HDV is so compressed, its ko wonder that the color info chucked out by LT sucks puppy dog tails. Have you tried plain vanilla ProRes 422?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Erik Koto
on Feb 28, 2011 at 5:50:01 am

Hey David,
I just tried converting to regular ProRes and ProResHQ. With both the quality is much improved over ProResLT.

However, I'm finding the big problem is now in the upres for 1080*1440 to 1080*1920 (I need to go 1920 as most of my footage is from the 5D). This upres introduces problems to both ProRes and ProResHQ outputs (see images below)

Any recommendations on how best to convert from 1440 to 1920?

Here's a close up converted by ProRes422 but left at 1080*1440:

Here's the same close up, also ProRes422, but now converted to 1080*1920
You can clearly see blockiness introduced in the hair

Just for reference here's the same image in ProResHQ, also 1080*1920
Same issues exist

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 28, 2011 at 8:00:32 am

You don't need to upres. Just drop the 1440x1080 material on the 1930x1080 timeline.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Erik Koto
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:50:25 pm

That's actually what I've been doing, I drop the ProRes 1440*1080 clips on the 1920*1080 timeline (i get the green render bars). However, when I render and export from FCP to Quicktime Movie, I get these jaggies on everything... (I get the same jaggies if I go through compressor first to get to 1920*1080).

Any way to fix this? Or does this always happen going from 1440 to 1920?

Thanks for the help with this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]