FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Res Import

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hill
Pro Res Import
on Feb 27, 2011 at 4:37:28 pm

My Pro Res file stutters in the browser. The file started out as an h264 - converted the file by exporting as ProRes in QT7. It stutters in Browser but plays fine in the timeline? So I can continue to cut with it in the timeline but when I export to a quicktime it does not show me what is in the timeline, which makes editing useless.

And if I drop the pro res directly into my timeline it plays beautifully. The only problem is that when I match back it doesn't match back to the same frame and when I make a quicktime of the timeline it's not the same as the sequence.

Pro Res frame rate 23.98 and size 853x480 matches sequence settings of 23.98 and size of 720x480 with anamorphic checked.

Importing ProRes file from a firewire drive -G-Tech 1 gb Raid - using 800 firewire)
Mac Pro OS 10.5.8
FCP 7.0.3
Dual-Core Intel, 2.66 GHz, 6 GB Ram

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Pro Res Import
on Feb 27, 2011 at 6:15:20 pm

You need to match your sequence settings to the source clips' properties. They don't match... Create a new sequence, put one of the prores clips in it, and click on the option to match the settings.

Since you can't really play clips in the Browser, I don't quite understand the problem, but matching sequence settings has to happen for sure.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Feb 27, 2011 at 6:54:25 pm

Appreciate your help, Jerry -

You need to match your sequence settings to the source clips' properties. They don't match...

I did that...to reiterate this is my Pro Res setting: frame rate 23.98 and size 853x480.

My sequence setting has the same frame rate 23.98 and the size is 720x480 with anamorphic checked since FCP has no Sequence size to exactly match the Pro Res size of 853x480.

If I drag the Pro Res file into the sequence from its home on a firewire drive it plays perfectly in the sequence. However, when I import it into the Browser, it stutters in the Viewer.

And, if I use match back from the Timeline, it does not work correctly - matches back to a different frame. This would make it impossible to make a DVD etc.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 27, 2011 at 8:52:26 pm

John, you can make any sequence setting you wish. You can type cmd+zero to open a sequence's settings, then set the frame size and pixel shape (probably square) to match.

You don't have the same frame sizes there... When you create a new sequence, is this what FCP creates when you click yes to conform the sequence setting to the clip's properties?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Feb 27, 2011 at 11:53:50 pm

Yes, the sequence settings are what FCP creates when I place the clip in the timeline. The size on both the Pro Res and in the sequence setting is the same 720 x 480 - Sorry for the confusion about the 853x480 size of the pro res- it was in parentheses next to 720x480.

So the clip plays fine in the sequence but won't match back correctly and stutters when playing in the Viewer.

Thanks for any further insight.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]