FORUMS: list search recent posts

miniDV output for 16:9 screening event

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zeynep ayguler
miniDV output for 16:9 screening event
on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:30:13 am

Hello everyone,

Film festival wants my 4:3 Pal(SD) short film on miniDV tape for their screening program which will be in (SD) 19:9 ratio.

The festival clearly states that:''Regular screenings will be in 16:9 ratio. Other ratios will affect the display of the screening. All regular screenings will be in Standard Definition (SD).'' on its rules and regulations paper.

In my situation, the best solution seems to convert 4;3 720X576 pal material to 16;9 anamorphic ratio by leaving vertical black bars (pillars) on each side of the frame..(I dragged footage into new sequence with anamorphic box checked.) Everything seems ok until i print 16:9 anamorphic to tape. Video on tape looks vertically squeezed as you can expect. This seems to be an obvious result as dv cameras and dv tapes are natively 4:3. But still, i am not sure if i am doing right. Do you think squeezed 4;3 image on tape could be screened properly with 16:9 ratio projection system? I really can't estimate how this system will tread my film on screening day.

Another question is: Why would anyone wants to make 16:9 ratio screening from miniDV which is 4:3 natively? I have a feeling that i am missing something important on this point.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: miniDV output for 16:9 screening event
on Feb 24, 2011 at 11:09:21 am

[zeynep ayguler] "In my situation, the best solution seems to convert 4;3 720X576 pal material to 16;9 anamorphic ratio by leaving vertical black bars (pillars) on each side of the frame..(I dragged footage into new sequence with anamorphic box checked.)"
That's correct.
You have only two ways:
- Putting black at both sides, as you did.
- Cropping the top and bottom of the picture.

[zeynep ayguler] "Everything seems ok until i print 16:9 anamorphic to tape. Video on tape looks vertically squeezed as you can expect. This seems to be an obvious result as dv cameras and dv tapes are natively 4:3. But still, i am not sure if i am doing right. Do you think squeezed 4;3 image on tape could be screened properly with 16:9 ratio projection system?"
Nothing wrong here.
The SD signal has the same size (720x480/6 if NTSC, 720x576 if PAL), whatever is 4x3 or 16x9. The camera doesn't know if the picture is 4x3 or 16x9. Is when displaying that the device (projector, monitor,..) needs to be set to one of both aspects.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

zeynep ayguler
Re: miniDV output for 16:9 screening event
on Mar 1, 2011 at 6:16:35 pm

Thanks Rafael..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]