FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Res file stutters

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hill
Pro Res file stutters
on Feb 22, 2011 at 11:16:09 pm

No one responded before to this post so i'm posting again - my feeling have not been tarnished because I know someone out there will help me. I love this site!

I am trying to cut with a Pro Res file without success. When i import the file it stutters (occasionally sticking on one frame). when I drag it into the timeline it plays without stuttering BUT it does the in and out frame in the timeline does not reflect the in and out in the browser.

Since the Pro Res file plays fine in Quicktime Player, why does FCP not play it back properly in the browser? I thought the import into the browser was just a link to the clip and therefore would not alter the playback of the clip in any way?

How can I import it without it stuttering?

Thanks!

Sequence setting: Editing Timebase 23.98, Compressor, ProRes422

The Pro Res 422 file is 23.98.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pro Res file stutters
on Feb 22, 2011 at 11:38:28 pm

What kind of connection do you have on your external hard drive? It should be at least firewire 800 for ProRes.

And you know of course that you should never, EVER use your system drive for media, right?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Feb 23, 2011 at 4:24:09 pm

Yes, using firewire 800 (external drive not my system drive)

Return to posts index

Sal Cecala
on Feb 23, 2011 at 12:03:09 am

Hi John,

I would love to see if I can find the root of your issue. First off though we would need to know a few things: What system you are using (G5, MacPro etc) CPU speed RAM, the OS revision and version of FCP. Also was this a file given by a customer or footage shot yourself, and you are importing it from a CF card, DVD, firewire drive, internal or external RAID?

Sal Cecala
ProMAX Systems

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Feb 23, 2011 at 4:35:32 pm

I'm using a mac pro but it happens on my laptop as well. The file started out as an h264 given to me and was unable to convert it to ProRes using Compressor without it stuttering. But I was able to convert the file by exporting as ProRes in QT7. It stutters in Browser but plays fine in the timeline? So I can continue to cut with it in the timeline but I'd like to find out why it stutters in the browser.

Thank you!

Importing ProRes file from a firewire drive -G-Tech 1 gb Raid - using 800 firewire)

Mac Pro OS 10.5.8

FCP 7.0.3

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
Memory: 6 GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]