FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing one edited sequence with another (pretty hard to explain)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Saint Michael
Replacing one edited sequence with another (pretty hard to explain)
on Feb 20, 2011 at 6:20:34 pm

Dear Friends,

I have a problem. Which is kind of hard to put down to words. And English being my third language doesn't help.
The problem is this - I edited some footage, without the proper sound sync. Now, I have received the footage with the perfect sound sync, but I'm too lazy/in too much of a haste to re-cut the whole thing again. Is it somehow possible to preserve the previous cuts and corrections I have made to this new files with sound sync, or do I have to recut the whole thing again?

Best Regards,
Alexander Michael

PS:If you do not understand my problem, please inform me, and i'll try to put it down to words again.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Replacing one edited sequence with another (pretty hard to explain)
on Feb 21, 2011 at 1:51:47 am

most likely you CANT reconnect the existing file to the new ones.

things that need to line up so you CAN reconnect:

- file names need to be the same (you can get by with them not being the same, but you have to reconnect each file manually)
- Timecode and Reel# should be the same. again you can force this, and while reel# is not a killer, if the TC is wrong, nothing will match up, will it?
- duration's of clips/ files should be the same.
if they are slightly different it shouldn't be a big deal.
- Number of tracks needs to be the same, so if you original files were Video only, and the new files are video and audio, then they wont reconnect.
there is no way to force this in FCP.

of course you don't have to actually RE-CUT the piece,
just use the replace edit to manually replace the old with the new.

OR check out FCP Reconnect from Video Toolshed
http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/41/fcpreconnect
this will reconnect files to clips based purely on Timecode and reel, circumventing the file name.
not sure if it can handle the track issue, but Bouke, the developer, could have some tricks in that department.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]