FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjusting Audio Peak levels to -10

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Saunders
Adjusting Audio Peak levels to -10
on Feb 19, 2011 at 1:44:08 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone knew the answer to something that's been bugging me.
Is there a way of adjusting the Audio Peak/clipping level to -10 rather than 0 in FCP?
We spend time watching through the timeline checking the levels, when running a simple scan to insert audio peak markers at -10 could make this process quicker and more accurate.

Thanks

Nigel

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Adjusting Audio Peak levels to -10
on Feb 19, 2011 at 5:43:02 pm

Change the master level of the entire timeline from 0 tp -10 with FCPs audio mixer?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 19, 2011 at 8:05:17 pm

Am I the only one that is mixing peaks just as close to 0 as possible? Maybe in a sense I'm doing what Nigel is looking for, but I don't lower them. My output is almost always going to DVDs and the web for corporate clients. And if I were to mix with peaks at -10 that would be dismally low volume. I use all of it so that when clients take out their Avatar DVD and put in mine, they don't complain that the volume is low.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 19, 2011 at 11:26:09 pm

Lots of misunderstanding here. Broadcast peak levels are -10dbfs for historic reasons and that isn't going to change. However, a properly sound posted production with levels that are limited to -10dbfs can sound as loud as a project with peaks close to zero if there has been no dynamics processing.

Just pulling maximum peaks down to -10db will not make the program sound the same volume as typical broadcast material. Feature films use a wider dynamic range which is sometime compressed on playback in a DVD player depending on your players settings. If not compressed, then typical feature films in dialog scenes will not be as apparently loud as a broadcast program. However, big action scenes will be louder. Features also use heavy dynamics processing.

So in FCP which has few tools for decent dynamics processing, frame based edit accuracy, no bussing and no channel processing (only clip based processing) you have little chance of making a program sound like something that has been through proper sound post. You can play with STP which gives you the features I described. For me as a Fairlight user, it is a clunky system but it is a big improvement over FCP which is really just an offline tool when it comes to audio.

A cheap and dirty approach is to take you FCP project with levels peaking to near zero render as an aif file and feed it through STP or an audio program that can insert a dynamics plugin to handle compression and peak limiting to cap your program to -10dbfs.

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Feb 19, 2011 at 11:46:30 pm

Hi. I have been adding 10db gain to my whole sequence, checking for audio peaks, adjusting them, and then removing the 10db gain. I agree with you that a small (tiny) adjustment in the software would make this feature useful rather than useless.
Matt.

Return to posts index

Nigel Saunders
on Feb 20, 2011 at 6:57:00 pm

Thanks folks,
Appreciate the feedback.
It certainly seems like a simple thing that will probably never get added to FCP. Plenty of different approaches, although Matt your idea is probably the simplest and has the least potential for disaster. Will certainly give it a go.

Thanks again,

Nigel

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 20, 2011 at 10:27:12 pm

[Nigel Saunders] " Matt your idea is probably the simplest and has the least potential for disaster"

If you are delivering to a broadcaster, this will not get the combination of apparent loudness and peak levels that are required. Taking your mix file into STP (or another audio app that lets you use decent plugins) and applying dynamics compression and peak limiting will be much better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]