FORUMS: list search recent posts

60i HDV footage mixed with 24p (23.98) from 5D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Crommett
60i HDV footage mixed with 24p (23.98) from 5D
on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:00:39 pm

Hi!

I have seen endless posts on a similar subject, but none of them seem to provide me the best solution to this problem. Here are the facts:

-I have close to 80 hours of footage from a Canon HV30. This was shot in the HDV24 mode which according to a Canon support representative shoots in 60i with a "24-like look." I presume no pull down is possible.

-I have about 7 hours of 24P (23.98, I presume) footage from a Canon 5D mark ii.

-I am editing in Final Cut Pro 7.

Would starting an HDV 60i sequence and then dropping in the 24P footage be the best solution?

Thanks for any help and advice you can provide! I am sorry if this feels redundant.

Sincerely,

Michael Crommett

Return to posts index

Jon Felix
Re: 60i HDV footage mixed with 24p (23.98) from 5D
on Feb 19, 2011 at 12:21:32 am

Briefly: you need to get both sources to the same frame rate. And you should NOT do this in FCP.

So: as converting UP is WAY better than the other direction: frame rate convert the 24fps 5d stuff, to 30 (ie. 23.98 to 29.97). You can then drop both into a 30fps timeline and you can add a DEINTERLACE filter to the 60i HDV stuff. I cut many commercials shot and edited at 24 and then convert them to 30 using Compressor's best Optical Flow technology, so I know it's good.

Ken Stones excellent article explains how to use Compressor to do very good frame rate conversions. http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/converting_frame_rates_compressor.html

It's very time consuming though. Maybe you could do pre-assemblies or rough cuts of the 5d stuff - editing in a 24fps timeline - then frame convert that, instead of all the original; rushes.

Obviously a Pro-Res timeline is best so, if you haven't already done it - you must also transcode the 5d's H.264 sources into Pro-Res. Then do the frame rate conversion.*

* mmm .... you could try using MPEG Streamclip to both transcode the 5d source into ProRes AND a rough and ready frame rate conversion (24 to 30) AT THE SAME TIME. If you are pushed for time .. but as Daniel Low says elsewhere in this forum: " MPEG Streamclip is not a great transcoder, although it is a great tool.. Frames/Fields will be doubled and fudged rather than have any complex 'interpolation' or calculations applied"

Hope that helps.

Jon Felix
DIGIT POST
Marin County, California

Return to posts index

Michael Crommett
Re: 60i HDV footage mixed with 24p (23.98) from 5D
on Feb 22, 2011 at 2:55:17 pm

Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful. I appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]