FORUMS: list search recent posts

5d rendering problem, jumping frames, glitches

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Felix
5d rendering problem, jumping frames, glitches
on Feb 18, 2011 at 6:31:17 pm

I have an odd problem. I am cutting a music video shot mostly on the 5d, shot at 30fps and transcoded to ProRes 442 (HQ) via MPEG Streamclip. There is also some EX3 and HDV footage (both 60i) added to that PR timeline.

I have much experience of this and similar workflows and have never had a problem before - but when I render - there are frame jumps, rendering errors and suchlike every few seconds. Suspecting that the transcoded version of the original footage was corrupt - I did it again - but it still does the same thing.

Ideas??!!

Jon Felix
DIGIT POST
Marin County, California

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 5d rendering problem, jumping frames, glitches
on Feb 18, 2011 at 7:28:30 pm

Crucial question: did you shoot the 5D stuff at 30, or 29.97?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon Felix
on Feb 18, 2011 at 7:50:57 pm

Gosh .. there's a point, Dave. I was told that the Canon '30 fps' was actually 29.97 - but now I see that with older versions of the camera's firmware it WAS actually true 30fps. This camera might have had older firmware (not able to check today). So maybe it was actually true 30fps???

Although ......... I have just tried re-transcoding again - this time using the Canon Log & Transfer plug-in - and it has made PR files at 29.97, not 30.

Jon Felix
DIGIT POST
Marin County, California

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 18, 2011 at 8:24:52 pm

Since this happens every few seconds or so, I'd put a longish 5D clip into a new FCP timeline, let FCP change the timeline if necessary, and check it out.

And if the EX3 and HDV footage isn't also ProRes, too many codecs can spoil the broth, so to speak....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon Felix
Re: 5d rendering problem, jumping frames, glitches UPDATE
on Feb 18, 2011 at 9:11:37 pm

Well Dave, I've mixed just about everything on a PR timeline - XDcam, HDV, DVCPro HD, 3GP (joking about the last one) - and I've had no problems .............ANYWAY.......

I re-transcoded yet again the Canon source files - this time using the Canon Log & Transfer FCP plug-in. Replaced the material in the timeline (no small feat - since the timecode is different of course) and 'bob's your uncle' as we say in England: it's all fine now. No rendering glitches.

Of course this doesn't explain what happened - apart from it being something to do with MPEG Streamclip - a program I have used with great success for a year. Ah well - Canon's plug in does of course make nice new timecode for you.

So why use MPEG Streamclip? Well last year I did a comparison transcoding well shot Canon 5d material to PR 4444 using the Canon plug-in, Compressor and MPEG Streamclip. MPEG Streamclip gave the nicest and most saturated images.

Thanks for your input.

Jon Felix
DIGIT POST
Marin County, California

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]