FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unexpectedly Quits using Blackmagic Codec Plugin

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Unexpectedly Quits using Blackmagic Codec Plugin
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:40:21 pm

I'm running FCP 7 and every time I try and open a still image in the viewer, .png files sized to 72 dpi and nothing is larger than 1920 pixels, FCP quits and gives the below message. How do you fix this? Should I try saving all the images as TIFs? PNGs have always worked for me in the past. I just don't get it.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
Re: Unexpectedly Quits using Blackmagic Codec Plugin
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:46:39 pm

Update, so I've just noticed that it only happens when I have External Video turned on for viewing on my 40" Sony. Is the Blackmagic card causing some issues with diplaying the images. It doesn't seem to like stills that much, but it plays video just fine.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:35:53 pm

Uninstall and reinstall the latest BM drivers. Crazy ass stuff like you're experiencing shouldn't be happening. It's not a workflow issue or related to your image type.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:37:45 pm

I'll try that. I just updated to the most recent firmware too. thx

Return to posts index

Scott Moore
on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:14:07 pm

I've been having the exact same problem for about the last year, I finally did a clean system install over the weekend and started from scratch, downloaded all the latest drivers and updates. The first project i opened was fine and worked perfectly, the second was fine for about 10 mins then it crashed and i got the same BlackMagic Codec error...... Having the latest drivers and a clean install i'm pretty confused as to what the problem is and there is nothing else i can try to fix it. The only work around is to turn "view external video" off but thats not a solution, especially with clients coming to view their commercials.
If this is a blackmagic specific problem i'd happily get an AJA or Matrox card instead but i don't want to do that and then find out its a FCP or system problem and i've just wasted my money.

Thanks,

Scott Moore
Editor,
Spitfire TV

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:22:43 pm

[Scott Moore] "If this is a blackmagic specific problem i'd happily get an AJA or Matrox card instead but i don't want to do that and then find out its a FCP or system problem and i've just wasted my money."

As far as I know it's a BM problem only. No guarantees, see if you can buy it from someone who will let you return it. It might be worth a restocking fee to find out.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 17, 2011 at 5:56:37 pm

Matt -

Error messages like yours have been appearing for all sorts of reasons ever since Snow Leopard and FCP studio 3. BM keeps thinking they've fixed it and then someone with a different configuration reports it. There are various work-arounds you can use once you've identified the situations that cause it, including temporarily switching to a different easy setup. BM itself is rather vague and mum on this issue - the final reason why after years of going with BM i've decided to switch to AJA with my next upgrade.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Apr 18, 2011 at 12:54:45 am

I had this issue consistently. I even swapped in an AJA card, then the problem followed, but said AJA instead. If you go into Activity monitor, look and see how much memory Final Cut Pro is using.

If it uses 2GB or more, you are going to crash. With the card not outputting video, you can save as much as 250MB of memory usage. So it can be a misleading BM issue.

Project size was the determining factor for me.

Thanks
James

Return to posts index

David Tate
on May 16, 2011 at 5:32:39 pm

We have had a Blackmagic Multibridge for about 4 years. Just in the last 3 weeks I have had this problem of FCP crashing when a PNG or a TIF is opened in the Viewer window. I did the normal stuff looked for new Drivers trashed preferences and so on. After a few hours of messing with the system it looks like it only happens when I have my display set to 1080p 59.94. So the only workarounds I found so far is to copy the png directly to my Sequence then open in the viewer window. Or I just set my display to 1080i while editing and once I am done and rendered I switch it back to 1080p for my final Viewing. It is not the best solution but I don’t want to shell out another 2000 bucks for another Kona 3.

Return to posts index

Don Riemer
on Dec 27, 2012 at 7:25:17 pm

Greetings... I've had the same problem, ever since switching from an old Matrox MXO to a Black Magic DeckLink SDI card and HDLink box for external monitoring. And it seems I've found a fix.

Like the other posters, I tried many combinations of output resolutions and frame sizes; all seemed to result in an immediate quit of FCP 7, with the error message about the Black Magic software. Always when trying to use a PNG file. And only when using the BlackMagic stuff for external monitoring. (When I turned off External Video in FCP, everything was happy.)

What seemed to make a difference was setting my FCP 7 "Easy Setup" to:
Blackmagic HDTV 720p 29.97 VariCam - 8 bit
With the frame rate to "all rates."

Curiously, even with these settings under Easy Setup, when you look at the options under A/V Devices, there is no 29.97 option available. So, I set my Playback Output to:
Blackmagic HD 720p 59.94 - 8 bit (1280 by 720)

Sequence settings don't seem to matter too much. I just tried playing back a PNG file inside a sequence set to 29.97, then to 59.94 fps, and both played fine.

I can only conclude that there is some aspect of the Easy Setup that sets things to 29.97 for the Blackmagic drivers, and that's what it wants to see for a PNG file. Why? I cannot say. But this is working for me right now. Sorry I didn't post this sooner, but I just found this thread, and the fix, today.

Cheers,

Don Riemer
driemer@airworthy.com

• • •
D O N R I E M E R / A I R W O R T H Y
concepts, writing, directing and editing for film and video
http://www.airworthy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]