FORUMS: list search recent posts

transfer problems- MASSIVE files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Deitch
transfer problems- MASSIVE files
on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:29:52 am

Sorry if this is the wrong category for this, but I've been having trouble transferring footage from my Panasonic HMC40 to FCP. The transfer works fine but I've been getting HUGE files. For example, I recently filled up a 32g flash card, but when I went to log/transfer the footage, it took up almost 100g of space on my hard drive. How is this even possible? I am shooting in the PH1080i60 setting. Could this be the problem? If anyone could explain this phenomenon, I would be much appreciative.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: transfer problems- MASSIVE files
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:31:31 pm

It's basically because the camcorder is recording in an AVCHD codec, which is very efficient at making the files relatively small but can't be edited properly by something like FCP (well they sort of can, but it's a difficult process for the computer to handle so it doesn't work very well), so the files have to be converted to a format that FCP can work with properly and those files will be a lot bigger than the ones that came from the camera.

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:54:38 pm

Most camera acquisition formats are compressed out of necessity, and may not be well suited to production work. AVCHD and similar codecs are particularly processor intensive to work with, and therefore are generally transcoded before editing. While you may be able to import the footage directly, working with it will likely be a \"sub-optimal\" editing experience.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Stuart Haight
on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:54:02 pm

Change your Log and Transfer settings to ProRes LT, should be less you don't need full quality ProRes for AVCHD.

Student, started on Avid, learning FCP. Tapping into online/offline workflows & using XML/EDL between systems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]