FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP project settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gak Stonn
FCP project settings
on Feb 15, 2011 at 1:40:17 am

Greetings all!
I am about to start a project with a Sony Z5 (shooting HD 16:9) and a second camera , Sony PD170 (shooting 16:9).
Can someone briefly explain how BEST to set up a project in FCP7 and import the PD170 footage.
Best,
Gak Stonn

Gak Stonn
Videographer to the Stars...and BEYOND!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP project settings
on Feb 15, 2011 at 1:56:01 am

Well, one is an HD camera (HDV) and the other is an SD camera (DV). Sure, they are both 16:9, but one is 1440x1080 and the other is 720x480. But the Z5 also shoots DV...so shoot both DV and then use a DV Anamorphic project setting.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gak Stonn
on Feb 15, 2011 at 2:06:08 am

I understand.
90% of the footage is using the Sony Z5, so we'd like to keep that quality.
So if I set the project settings in FCP to the HDV 1080i 60 (say), how can I import the remainder of the PD170 footage...I'm having some trouble here!

Gak Stonn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 15, 2011 at 2:33:57 am

You either bring it in as native DV, and then scale it up in FCP (not the best)...or get a hardware capture card and capture it that way, using the hardware to upscale the footage to HD (much better way)...AJA Kona Matrox and Decklink Extreme 3D do this. Or have the DV upscaled at a post facility with a Terranex (best way).

Shane

Return to posts index

Gak Stonn
on Feb 15, 2011 at 2:44:54 am

Thank you!
Again, I understand.
In my tests, FCP is not registering the PD170 when my project settings are the HDV 1080i 60 (it wont see the camera).
Must I get a different FCP project, capture the native SD from the PD170, and convert it to the HDV format and then import it to the HDV project?
Is there a smoother option?
Thanks also for the advice on the hardware, I'll look into the Matrox with my partners.

Gak Stonn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 15, 2011 at 3:36:02 am

[Gak Stonn] "In my tests, FCP is not registering the PD170 when my project settings are the HDV 1080i 60 (it wont see the camera)."

OF course not. It isn't an HDV camera...nor is it HDV footage. You can't capture DV as HDV via firewire. YOu have to change your Easy Setup to DV/Anamorphic, and then capture the footage.

[Gak Stonn] "Must I get a different FCP project, capture the native SD from the PD170, and convert it to the HDV format and then import it to the HDV project?"

DOn't need a different project...just change the Easy Setup. But avoid converting a full frame format to a GOP one like HDV. Convert it to ProRes using Compressor. ANd edit in a ProRes timeline.

Shane

Return to posts index

Gak Stonn
on Feb 15, 2011 at 3:57:55 am

Got it!
I will try all this tomorrow, and see what our test footage looks like under these settings. I will post that to let future thread-readers see the results.
Your help and suggestions have been easy to follow, knowledgeable, and I appreciate the timeliness.
Thank you.
Gak Stonn

Gak Stonn

Return to posts index

Gak Stonn
on Feb 15, 2011 at 11:09:50 pm

1) Yes Yes!
These settings worked just perfect. You have detailed the information in a superb fashion!

2) I was unaware one could switch the project settings (easy set up) w/o altering the other captured video or messing up the project itself.

3) As you stated, the PD170 footage is far inferior to the HDV footage.
Some PD170 footage might be adequate for Broll and cutaways, yet not sufficient for a two camera shoot.

4) If we wanted to Keep the HDV settings on the Z5 and still use the PD170 for a few 2 camera shoots, can you recommend a FCP setting that might better match the two cameras. My thoughts are that we would still have the HD footage for high resolution archival material, and use the project for a final output to DVD.

5) Also, in this scenario, would you recommend shooting the PD170 4:3 and expanding the video in the project instead of 16:9 and using the anamorphic capture settings (I just read this in another CCblog)?

Gak Stonn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]