FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingest / Capture with lower quality camera for DV footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Maunoury
Ingest / Capture with lower quality camera for DV footage
on Feb 14, 2011 at 10:07:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I am supposed to take care of editing and post-production for a small project that has to see its whole production in very little time.

I was thinking of doing the capture and a rough edit while the crew shoots, and was thinking of grabbing another camera for that. You have gathered we have no deck for that.

The production has chosen to shoot DV with the Canon XL2 (sigh). My question was this one: is there a risk of quality loss if capturing with a basic consumer DV camera or is it fine to go like that? If yes, is it a significant loss / risk?

sidenote: I am not a native English speaker, and while doing research on the subject, I was wondering what was the best term for this part of the workflow in English.

Thanks in advance,

Colin

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: Ingest / Capture with lower quality camera for DV footage
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:56:06 pm

I'm fairly sure that with DV and indeed HDV, what you pay for (in a more professional camera like an XL2) is better glass and 3 sensors and more manual controls. The way it's recorded is pretty much the same, except from more sensors. When capturing, you're literally going from tape to ilink (FireWire), so there will be no quality loss. However, I think you need a camera which is capable of playing the same format, so if you shoot 25p and get a camera which can only Play 50i for example, you will probably have issues.

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]