FORUMS: list search recent posts

Print to DVD - missing feature?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Print to DVD - missing feature?
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:19:56 pm

Just in case (1) I'm missing something inside FCP or (2) anyone from the Apple FCP development group reads this forum:

I was in a tv station the other day and saw something on their Edius system that I'd like to have in FCP: Inside a timeline, the editor selected a block of footage, hit a few buttons, and within five minutes an attached DVD burner had created a DVD of the selected shots.

Now, as I sit down to make window dubs of the material I shot last week, I'm wondering, "Can FCP do that?"

I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ27, which has analog inputs, so with my AJA LHe I can play out a timeline and create a DVD in real-time. But it would be more convenient to send out a file and have a DVD generated while I continue to work on something else.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
Re: Print to DVD - missing feature?
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:47:34 pm

The Share function will burn a DVD of your timeline.

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post
Calgary, Alberta
Mac Pro 2.66 12-core 16gb ram • FSI LM1760W Monitor • Matrox MX02 • Caldigit HD One 8tb Raid • Euphonix MC Transport • Final Cut Studio 3 • Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:47:49 pm

Very good idea. But I don't want to "hit a few buttons" -- I want to highlight the area to be burned and hit command P or maybe Command B.

H.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:36:54 pm

I select the bit I want, export it as a quicktime and then use the "one step DVD from movie" feature in iDVD to burn a disc. Not quite as straightforward as what you want, but not far off.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:44:59 pm

Thanks. Great ideas.

I still like Edius's software integration with an external DVD burner, but these tips will help me a lot.

I appreciate your help!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:03:20 pm

Edius might be great for DVD burning, but I don't think it can do a heck of a lot else. You'd be hurtin' pretty fast once you got beyond basic news cutting. With FCS 3 you get a lot more capability.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:15:36 pm

True, but my post wasn't a plug for Edius - just a note that Edius has a very nice feature, which makes a tedious task dead simple. If "Share" or iDVD work as easily as they seem, I'll be happy

Bob C

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:21:01 pm

Yup, understood, sir. I may be atoning for bad-mouthing FCP and Apple in an earlier thread.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:18:06 pm

Have you noticed a pattern, Dave?

People are getting fed up with Apple making promises of better software and incredible improvements and when it come to the Pro Apps we are seeing nothing. Apple is sliding way behind the curve in Pro Apps development. Folks have been complaining and whining about features for a long time and we have yet to see many of them come about. That's what's at hand here.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:27:40 pm

[Wayne Carey] "Apple is sliding way behind the curve in Pro Apps development. Folks have been complaining and whining about features for a long time and we have yet to see many of them come about."

I can't disagree with that!

Don't get me wrong, I like using FCP, but when a momentous improvement in Final Cut Suite is simply software you bought & bundled (Color), you have to wonder how committed Apple is to keeping the primary application up to date.

If Apple keeps up like this, they'll get blown out of the water.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:42:07 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Don't get me wrong, I like using FCP, but when a momentous improvement in Final Cut Suite is simply software you bought & bundled (Color), you have to wonder how committed Apple is to keeping the primary application up to date. "

Ok... I'll give you that one, Dave. But don't you think it may be time for a rewrite of the software to make it more efficient?

Apple has had a 64-bit OS for some time now. And to be perfect honest, the MacOS has had a 64-bit backbone for a very long time now. Longer than Snow Leopard. That was the advantage of building the OS on a form of Unix.

Apple has made quite a few advancements in technology, no doubt. But when it comes to the Pro Apps, they've been slow. Sure, Color is amazing but why can't they incorporate some of the technology into FCP. You know, an improved 3-way Color Corrector, maybe. Not everyone has the time to work in Color. Sometimes we just need a quick fix. Magic Bullet's Colorista II is perfect for this, but slow to render.

How about working on the marketing claims that don't really work very well, like the Share function or better yet, Motion integration with Motion templates that you can use right on your timeline?

We aren't whining for fun... We have legit issues and it seems that most are just overlooked or ignored. Wouldn't the COW be a great place for Apple to monitor to see what folks are wanting or what needs repair? Sure... I know they can't implement everything we want, but maybe just add the most popular needs or repairing marketing flaws. That's all.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:52:30 pm

[Wayne Carey] "don't you think it may be time for a rewrite of the software to make it more efficient?"

Absolutely. Sadly, I don't think it'll happen in any big hurry. If FCP 8 goes 64-bit, you'll be able to knock me over with a feather.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:42:42 pm

Well we have Premiere CS5 on our system at the moment and it's very impressive, I think a lot of people aren't going to wait forever for Apple to get their act together. Hopefully by NAB we'll have an idea of where things are going

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
on Feb 19, 2011 at 1:52:59 am

Wayne Carey: "Apple is sliding way behind the curve in Pro Apps development."

Aperture and Logic are also Pro Apps, and they're both 64-bit and certainly not lagging behind their peers.

(Just worth a mention...)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]