FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting a Square Pixel PS File to Non Square for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Walker
Converting a Square Pixel PS File to Non Square for FCP
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:04:51 am

I received some multilayer photoshop files from a client. Upon importing them into FCP 7 I realized the files are square pixel files. I have CS 4 but am not sure the proper way to covert the files to non square pixels for FCP.

I'm looking for some guidance on how to best do this. Everything I've found is advice for starting a new PS file, not altering an existing one done in square pixels.

Thank you so much for any help!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Converting a Square Pixel PS File to Non Square for FCP
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:59:41 am

[Jeff Walker] "I received some multilayer photoshop files from a client. Upon importing them into FCP 7 I realized the files are square pixel files. I have CS 4 but am not sure the proper way to covert the files to non square pixels for FCP. "
Why to convert that?
When you drop the file on any sequence, FC will convert it to whatever the setting of the sequence.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Walker
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:15:49 am

Thanks for the reply.

I'm finding my images stretched in FCP due to square pixels. Wouldn't changing to non square in photoshop solve my problem? Perhaps convert was the wrong word?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:16:27 am

Just right click on the clip in the timeline and choose "remove attributes," then check "distort" and hit okay.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:31:21 am

FCP doesn't match the sequence with a Photoshop file.
What kind of FCP Timeline you are editing ? SD or HD?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:58:01 pm

[Jeff Walker] "I'm finding my images stretched in FCP due to square pixels. Wouldn't changing to non square in photoshop solve my problem? Perhaps convert was the wrong word?"
By default FC recognize stills as Square pixels, so probably this picture have been built with other kind.
Go to the Browser > Pixels Aspect and change it to match the sequence pixels. Lay the clips again on the time-line.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jeff Walker
on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:26:50 pm

Still having the problem so I should better explain. I'm working in an HD timeline at 1440 by 1080. I received my layered photoshop files at 1920 x 1080. When I pull them into FCP it was extremely wide and didn't fill the screen on the top and bottom. Someone suggested using remove attributes which I tried and it helped, fitting the the image to properly fit the screen but I have the problem of circles becoming ovals.

How should I direct the photoshop artist to alter these images so they will appear properly in my 1440 x 1080 timeline?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 16, 2011 at 1:53:35 am

[Jeff Walker] " I'm working in an HD timeline at 1440 by 1080. I received my layered photoshop files at 1920 x 1080."
The problem is that you are editing on a 1440x1080/HD Pixels sequence. That's not standard HD.
You should edit on a 1920x1080 Squared pixels sequence, unless you are printing to tape 1440x1080.
Open a new 1920x1080 SQ pixels, and copy and paste all the stuff from one sequence to the other.
Then select the footage on the time-line and "left click> Remove Attribute Basic Motion + Distort.
Your footage will fit on the canvas and the stills too.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]