FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Mac Pro Upgrade for Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Manciero
Best Mac Pro Upgrade for Final Cut
on Feb 13, 2011 at 11:04:23 pm

Help!!!
I am currently using the old Power PC Mac Pro and I am ready to pull the trigger on a new Mac Pro Intel.
Using Final Cut to edit from HD to Dv footage and will be starting to edit Canon 5D Pro res stuff. My question do I go with the single faster CPU processor or do the dual processor 8 core model. I just want to make sure that when the day comes final cut actually upgrades I will be ready. I figure you guys would know. Thanks Robert

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Best Mac Pro Upgrade for Final Cut
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:13:17 am

More cores.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:51:41 am

Current FCP doesnt care about more cores.
I think there will be a 64 bit iPad version before OSX (just kidding)

Any intel machine with FCP7 will give you HUGE improvement over your Power PC
Even an iMac will blow your PowerPC away.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Feb 14, 2011 at 1:39:53 pm

All the standard recommendations:

• Buy an 8- or 12-core Mac Pro
  • Install 8GB or more of RAM, but make sure you install even numbers, matching pairs of sticks, best if they're all the same manufacturer, yada yada yada
  • Buy 2 or more fast, internal drives and RAID-0 stripe them for plenty of HD-editing speed. Use a SSD drive for your system drive for even speedier performance.
  • Move projects to offline storage as soon as you're done with them and keep your internal drives clean of clutter.
  • Only use your system drive for OSX and FCP. Never copy media to your system drive. Don't install crap you don't need. (Keep your old system around for "playing".)
  • Buy a Matrox CompressHD H.264 Accelerator Card if you see yourself needing to compress your footage often to H.264 for web deliver or Blu-Ray authoring. Worth its weight in gold!

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:55:08 pm

I've heard great things about the 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” MacPro. Less money than the 8 or 12-core and actually faster at a lot of things since the base GHz is faster which is important for Final Cut as it's still a 32-bit app and can't access all your cores anyway. And you can use the money saved on more RAM and drives.

tony

Return to posts index

Robert Manciero
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:01:48 pm

All great advice. I have come down to either the 3.3 6 core single processor or the 2.4 dual 8 core. I have plenty of external storage with Caldigit raid systems. Now I just wait to see if any of these configs appear on the referb apple store. Save some $$. Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 14, 2011 at 7:59:01 pm

A single processor Mac has zero resale value down the line. Meanwhile, and 8 or 12 -core will be easily salable five years from now.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]