FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting from ProRes 25fps to Sony HDCam 1080/59.94i

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Eckermann
Converting from ProRes 25fps to Sony HDCam 1080/59.94i
on Feb 12, 2011 at 1:23:36 pm

Hi

First up, thanks to all the contributors to this forum. This is my first post here, however, I have been a long time user of Creative Cow - and can't recall the number of times the forums have helped me out of a jam

I need some guidance/advice regarding the best practice workflow for getting our microbudget feature transferred to tape for a festival in the US. We have shot and edited our film in Sydney, Australia and need to convert it from our Final Cut Pro ProRes4444 1920x1080 25fps 48kHz sequence to a Sony HDCam tape @ 1080/59.94i

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: Converting from ProRes 25fps to Sony HDCam 1080/59.94i
on Feb 12, 2011 at 6:04:50 pm

The preferred route would be to make a 25fps master (1080i50) on HDCam via a tape out (using Kona or Blackmagic video card), then pay for frame conversion at a post house, using something expensive like a Teranex.

Your other option is to use Cinema tools to convert the file from 25p/50i to 24p. This would cause a 4% slowdown on the transfer, but is commonly done in reverse for all movies transferred for TV in PAL countries - so not as noticeable as you would think.

Once you've generated a 24p master, you can output this as 1080i60 using a Kona or BM video card, which can utilise a process called 'reverse pulldown' to generate the missing fields.

Since you will most probably have to rent a deck (and find one if you live in a PAL country, which is not easy sometimes) I recommend you take this to a post house if you can handle the cost.

Brn

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Marcus Eckermann
Re: Converting from ProRes 25fps to Sony HDCam 1080/59.94i
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:06:42 am

Thanks Ben

Your answer is consistent with what we are hearing on this end. Being a micro-budget film, cost is obviously going to be an issue, but we do want the best quality copy of the film to be screened at the festival

Can anyone recommend a post house in Sydney that does this kind of frame conversion using the best gear

Cheers

Marcus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]