FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert 30i P2 footage to 23.98P

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Roth
Convert 30i P2 footage to 23.98P
on Feb 11, 2011 at 7:32:44 pm

As of 2011, are there any new solutions for converting 30i footage to 24 for editing in FCP, hopefully within FCS instead of needing to purchase extra software? (I just had to do the same thing in my Avid, and it automatically removed the 3/2 upon importing and transcoding, saving me much pain. Now I need to do the same process with the same footage all in FCS.)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Convert 30i P2 footage to 23.98P
on Feb 11, 2011 at 7:52:13 pm

So it was shot 1080i 29.97? Not any 1080p variant? 1080p24...1080pA24? Straight up 1080i30?

Cinema Tools...you'll have to figure out which settings work...there are 4 options. But that is designed for footage that was shot with pulldown in mind really. Might have to use Compressor. And next time, plan on shooting 23.98. Or slap the cameraguy for NOT shooting properly.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher Roth
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:49:57 pm

Thanks! Not sure of the exact flavor but I know there was a 3/2, and it was i not p.

I'll give Cinematools a try, never had to use it.

What would Compressor be used for though? (I only use it for DVDs.....)

Best,

CR

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:59:28 pm

If you turn on Compressor's Frame Controls and set everything to "Better," Compressor does a whole lot of sophisticated and very cool things, including format conversions, frame blending, anti-aliasing, deinterlacing, etc.

Going from 30i to 23.98p is about as tough as it gets conversion-wise, but it's worth a try. Do a single clip first as a test, as Frame Controls makes Compressor really, really, really slooooooowwww...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 11, 2011 at 9:25:21 pm

You use the same codec in Compressor...in the Advanced Format Conversion area, are the FCP codecs. Choose the one that matches your codec, but change the frame rate, and as David said, change the frame controls to BEST.

If Cinema Tools doesn't work.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher Roth
on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:24:41 pm

Sounds good, thanks again!

CR

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 12, 2011 at 10:26:48 pm

If it really is shot with 3:2 puldlown, Compressor has a reverse telecine function. Even easier.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]