FCP studio 3 install issue-application installer quits
on Feb 11, 2011 at 7:18:32 pm

I'm on a Mac Pro
Dual Core Intel Xeon
Speed: 2.66 Ghz
4 cores
2processors
2 GB memory

It has Studio 2 Final Cut 6. I just bought the Studio 3 upgrade. When I install the first disc the application installer quits unexpectedly.

Any ideas on how I can get this upgrade done?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP studio 3 install issue-application installer quits
on Feb 11, 2011 at 7:39:05 pm

Installing the upgrade over the top of FCS2 is a bad idea under any circumstance, so it's possible that this problem may have ultimately saved you a great deal of time installing, then reinstalling.

The best is always to do a ground-up reinstall of both the OS and FCS.

Next is to use FCP Remover from http://www.digitalrebellion.com to first remove the old version, then install the new version. But that's not 100% foolproof.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Trowbridge
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:00:40 pm

David, thanks for the input. I didn't realize that was a bad idea. I Thought the point of FC Studio 3 was to just pop the install disc in and do the upgrade.

So just to be clear you are saying I should reinstall OS.I'm not sure I am clear on the FCP upgrade process though. Do I reinstall FC Studio 2 then do the upgrade in the middle of that process? All I have is the upgrade discs. Then go back and remove FC Studio 2? Do you mind breaking that down for me?

Shane

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:18:49 pm

[Shane Trowbridge] "I Thought the point of FC Studio 3 was to just pop the install disc in and do the upgrade."

Yes, that's what a huge number of users think, and it's been the cause of many, many issues for FCP users who come here for help fixing the problems after the fact.

[Shane Trowbridge] "Do I reinstall FC Studio 2 then do the upgrade in the middle of that process?"

Nagatory Shane!!! You simply install the upgrade... but it will ask you to type in your old serial number.

BTW, what I recommend is installing a new 360Gb SATA drive and doing the ground-up install on both the OS and the FCS upgrade. That's the absolute best, and that way you can preserve you old system drive as backup in case you forgot some files or projects on that drive.

BTW, remember to run Apple>>Software Update several times after installing both the OS and FCS... Do it until you get the massage that everything is up to date.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Oops!!! Let me revise that last one...
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:28:20 pm

If you try the uninstaller from digital rebellion then, of course, you run that first, then try to install the FCS3 upgrade. As I said before, it will ask for your old serial number... That is true no matter how you do it... Whether you did it over the top, after uninstalling, or from the ground up, the upgrade requires your old serial number. If not, then nobody would ever buy the full version...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Shane Trowbridge
Re: Oops!!! Let me revise that last one...
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:31:08 pm

okay that all makes sense.

So just to clarify, you think reinstalling OS will address the application installer quiting?

All of this is irrelevant, if the installer keeps quitting.

David, I really appreciate your time. Hopefully I can get this going!

Thanks so much..

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:42:37 pm

[Shane Trowbridge] "So just to clarify, you think reinstalling OS will address the application installer quiting?
"

I think a ground-up install would solve that problem and a bunch of other problems that you don't even know about yet. A clean install will probably make your system run better than it's run since you bought it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Shane Trowbridge
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:48:41 pm

Fantastic!

I need to track down my IT guy and I will get that done. I may check back in in a few days if I have anymore issues. But hopefully I wont.

Thanks for your help! Have a great weekend.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]