FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimizing for Joomla website

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Cervarich
Optimizing for Joomla website
on Feb 10, 2011 at 5:32:27 pm

I am producing videos for a client website which uses Joomla as its operating system. On the advice of the web designer of the site, I forwarded to an ftp that the client has, mp4 files. When I looked at the site after the mp4 files had been put up, the video quality was not good.

The designer tells me that I could make adjustments or use another file type or both to improve quality. This has me scratching my head since I sent to him 3 test files - one .flv, one H.264, and one mp4 - earlier. He chose mp4 as the best.

I know there are adjustments that can be made if these files are created in Compressor. But, to save time, I was wondering if someone out there has suggestions of settings I might chose to optimize these files so they will really sparkling on my client's website?

Thanks for any suggestions you can make...

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: Optimizing for Joomla website
on Feb 10, 2011 at 6:06:06 pm

Ok I run about 4 websites that use Joomla and using the AllVideo plugin, you can use just about any format.

However, if you are doing video, Youtube & Vimeo are the only way to go, unless your subject matter is confidential. You can still hide the vids on the youtube/vimeo indexing though.

Peter

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 10, 2011 at 6:07:53 pm

Frank,

Do you understand that the only way your video could get worse would be if the video is being recompressed somewhere in the process after you deliver it?

If that is the case, then no highly compressed web delivery format that you're supplying will suffice, because they are being hit with a second major compression after you deliver. So, you have to upload an very lightly compressed video file so that the second compression hit doesn't degrade it horribly. Does this make sense?

It's your responsibility to connect the dots in order to determine your proper workflow. In this case that means that you need to research Joomla to determine if and how the site recompresses the video file that you supply, and based upon your findings, you need to create a file that withstand that recompression.

The sky is the limit when choosing the bitrate for H.264 files. You have to determine what's necessary, keeping in kind that the file you create is not the final for web delivery version, but rather the starting point for what will become the final file.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

David Taylor
on Feb 10, 2011 at 6:24:32 pm

I've had great results lately using x264. see this post on using it instead of H.264:

http://realworldvideocompression.com/rwvc/2010/5/7/using-x264-plugin-in-com...

Also, you should check to see if the videos are being resized in the player. If you've encoded them at 320x240 and they are being scaled up or down via the player, that could also cause your quality to suffer. One bit of advice I've learned is to keep the dimensions as multiples of 16, as described here:

http://www.flashsupport.com/books/fvst/files/tools/video_sizes.html

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Feb 10, 2011 at 9:29:52 pm

David,

Joomla is a CMS and won't 'recompress' the video

Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Feb 10, 2011 at 9:32:49 pm

Frank,

How many times a day will the video be viewed? I really urge you to think Youtube or Vimeo as my maximum video has been 60gig in a day hosting video myself.

Peter

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Feb 10, 2011 at 9:47:17 pm

Peter -

This is a new site that my client has launched but they already have 3 or 4, all of which are linked to this new site. I have no idea what their traffic is on the other sites. But I can say that this client is an association with about 1500 members. And they are making a big push to maximize marketing for their member's product. And this site has ties to the Smithsonian.

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Feb 10, 2011 at 9:53:20 pm

Frank,

You have said the magic word, marketing. Use YouTube - it is not part of Google for nothing :)

Peter

Return to posts index

Ken Hall
on Feb 10, 2011 at 9:49:43 pm

Frank -

My company website uses Joomla as the CMS. Most of the video is embedded through Vimeo. However, several files are playing off of the server using the AllVideos plug-in. As Peter pointed out, the CMS does not compress video. All my files are Flash. I use free software called Bitrate Starter to determine the best parameters for the encodes. More times than not the quality is very good and it still looks good on the website. So the quality of your final encode should look the same when it plays on your client's site. As David points out, check with your client to determine that your files are not being re-compressed and that they are playing at the frame size you encoded at and and not at another size as set in videos plug-in on the Joomla site.

Ken Hall
Rivendell Story Works
rivendellstoryworks.com

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:10:15 pm

Ken -

You mentioned AllVideos plug-in, as did a previous post. Is that the name of the plug-in or the generic name of the Joomla site for video plug-ins?

Bitrate Starter - does that make the file or just analyze it? Does it integrate with Compressor?

Sorry to be such a dunce.

Return to posts index

Ken Hall
on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:56:11 pm

Frank -

AllVideos is a component or plug-in for Joomla. It's a free bit of software. Here's information http://www.joomlaworks.gr/

BitRate Started is also freeware. You type in a few important parameters and it indicates optimal bit rates for that particular encode. More information can be found here
http://videorx.com/

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:00:08 pm

Thank you so much Ken -

By the way, does Vimeo have the same copyright complications as YouTube does? I signed up for it but really haven't used it but once.

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:01:25 pm

The main 'gotcha' about Vimeo is you shouldn't really use it for commercial use. It has been known fro Vimeo to remove entire video collections leaving rather nasty black holes in your website.

Marketing & video = YouTube

Peter

Return to posts index

David Taylor
on Feb 10, 2011 at 9:54:26 pm

Peter, Yes, I'm aware that Joomla is a CMS, but as you said, the video player is a plugin for it. One video player plug-in in particular on Wordpress doesn't take into consideration the extra 20 pixels for the player controls, so you have to add 20 pixels to the height of the video for it to display in the original size.

As for YouTube and Vimeo, if you don't mind their branding and terms of use (i.e. signing over complete rights of use) then they have a very easy to use system for displaying video.

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:00:11 pm

You don't sign over rights if you get Partner status - You have complete copyright.

Peter

Return to posts index

David Taylor
on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:41:17 pm

True, you don't lose your copyright, but as long as they host your video you give them complete use of the video with no claim to any residuals they may make from it. It's just the price you pay for using their system.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:47:04 am

[Frank Cervarich] "The designer tells me that I could make adjustments or use another file type or both to improve quality. This has me scratching my head since I sent to him 3 test files - one .flv, one H.264, and one mp4 - earlier. He chose mp4 as the best. "
Don't use the MP4 options in Compressor. These are the old QT6 compatible.
You need an "MP4 with embed H264".
Use the "Export MP4" option on MPGStreamclip and set H264 the codec choice.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:47:21 pm

I am using the MPEG-4 option in FCP to create my mp4 file. Is that old Quicktime6 compatible as well?

Return to posts index

David Taylor
on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:58:43 pm

I really encourage you to use the x264 encoder, the quality and size is outstanding! It's very easy to install and then just use the "export with quicktime conversion" option and select the x264 codec.

Andy Beach has easy to follow instruction here, only takes a second. He gives details how to set up pre-sets in compressor, but I just use Quicktime to export, now if I could only get my old version of Visual Hub to use the x264 codec.

http://realworldvideocompression.com/

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 11, 2011 at 4:10:54 pm

[Frank Cervarich] "I am using the MPEG-4 option in FCP to create my mp4 file. Is that old Quicktime6 compatible as well?"
QT started to support H264 from QT 7 on.
On the MP4 tab, the option (Video format) "MP-4 basic" is QT6 compatible.
There is another "MP-4 Improved" option, that I don't know much about.
But those are not your best options.
Select "H264" on the Video Fomat, you will get an "H264" packed as MP4.
BUT, I would recommend you to do it on MPGStreamclip.
You have more control over the compression quality settings.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Feb 11, 2011 at 4:26:42 pm

I'm just not very tech savvy so please excuse that I continue to ask questions....

I happen to have MPGStreamclip. What compression quality settings would you suggest I use to create a highest quality video that will play on a client website that is being managed by Joomla?

I don't know what plug-in is being used in Joomla to accept these videos yet either. What plug-in would you suggest for that?

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Feb 11, 2011 at 5:45:37 pm

Frank,

If you don't go down the YouTube path, which I strongly recommend you do, use the AllVideo plugin/extension.

http://www.joomlaworks.gr/content/view/16/42/

This gives extra functionality to your CMS

Peter

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 12, 2011 at 4:28:26 am

[Frank Cervarich] "What compression quality settings would you suggest I use to create a highest quality video"
That depends of the size of the picture and the allowed file size.
Whatever the data-rate you set, always check "Multipass" and "B-Frames".
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]