FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to bring audio in for editing via mackie FW mixer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Miller
Unable to bring audio in for editing via mackie FW mixer
on Feb 10, 2011 at 7:19:53 am

Hi All, I apologize if this post is in the wrong place, but I'm working with FC Express 4 (stripped version of Pro?). Trying to set up audio input through a mackie firewire (fw) mixer with no luck. I've talked with Mackie and all drivers are current, done the basics (trashed the prefs for FCE, ran the disk utility, confirmed the settings in MIDI, as well as the input sources for the respective programs, etc.) The thing that's odd is that I can bring audio in and record just fine with Quicktime and the editing software that came with the mixer (Traction 3) but not with FCE, imovie or garage band. So, because it works with some programs and not others that tells me that the FW port is working and that the mixer is routing the channels properly. Any suggestions? Working on an imac 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB mem on a Fw400 port and a 1TB external drive on the FW800.. (I know I need more memory :-) Thanks in advance for any help!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Unable to bring audio in for editing via mackie FW mixer
on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:53:31 am

The only thing I can suggest is look at your Audio / Video Settings and make sure your Audio Input is set to the Mackie.

Since you're coming Firewire you won't be able to capture video and audio at the same time if you choose to capture via the Mackie.

I have no experience with any Firewire audio only devices but we do use USB mics all the time with FCP so I know that working with those devices works just fine.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Register now for our Open House March 5

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Andy Miller
on Feb 13, 2011 at 5:46:01 pm

Hi Walter, I've made some progress with the issue. Not sure exactly what I changed to make it work but I am now able to bring audio into FCE via CH1 and 2 on the mixer for voice over. Sometimes it's better to be lucky?? Thank you for your input; have a great week.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Feb 13, 2011 at 2:01:02 am

I have extensive experience capturing with Firewire audio devices. Please let me know exactly where your issue is (where the capture is failing) and I should be able to assist you. No offense but usually Mackie and companies of the like are not familiar with capturing on video software

Return to posts index

Andy Miller
on Feb 13, 2011 at 5:41:28 pm

Hi Ian, thank you for the reply.. I've made some progress but still haven't completely solved everything. Here's where I am at; I've figured out how to bring my voice into FCE for voice over (channel 1) and assume that channel 2 would work as well (haven't tried). What I haven't been able to do is bring any music in (channel 5/6 on mixer) to capture with the voice over feature. I've found a work-around with this by bringing the 5/6 channel into Traction 3 (music software), convert with itunes to an aiff format then import into FCE and edit from there. . I don't know if FCE voice over is limited to only ch1&2 and that's why it doesn't acknowledge the 5/6? Logic tells me that as long as there is a signal coming in through the FW, FCE shouldn't be able to distinguish which channel on the mixer it's plugged into, but this is speculation on my part.. So, is my work-around for the music input the way it has to be done, or am I able to cut some steps out of the process and do this with the voice over feature (although the voice over has it's limits as well; can only record for the length of the video track). So, maybe the work-around actually is the best route? Most problems typically stem from lack of knowledge; this as been a big learning curve for me, but think I have made quite a bit of progress (not very much sleep though).. Thank you for your thoughts..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]