FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with Different Compressions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alfonso Pozzo
Editing with Different Compressions
on Feb 9, 2011 at 11:14:43 pm

I am editing a video for a friend and thought i had converted everything to the same compression. Namely, Apple ProRes 422. Now that I am editing this thing finally with the deadline looming, I realize that I have some footage that is at XDCAMEX 1080p30 and some stuff that is at what is simply labeled as Photo-JPEG.

My problem is that when I play these files down in same timeline, I dont get smooth playback, it is choppy and jumpy all over the place.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a quick fix to this problem? Other than spending an entire night converting all of my XDCAM EX ftg to ProRes422?

I also have noticed some skipping when playing back only 422 and 422(HQ) files. I didnt think this would be an issue, do i have to have them all be the same?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Editing with Different Compressions
on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:04:58 am

[Alfonso Pozzo] "do i have to have them all be the same?"

Yes. They need to all be the same. As for mixing the XDCAM EX and Photo JPG, if you want realtime playback, you have to convert them to Pro Res. You can still edit with them, but they will have to be rendered anytime you adjust them.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Alfonso Pozzo
on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:16:59 am

or is it maybe because i am running all this stuff of a 1TB Lacie Rugged Drive and it cant keep up? Im trying to save as much time as possible here and at same time get all my stuff running smoothly!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Feb 10, 2011 at 1:41:06 am

"I also have noticed some skipping when playing back only 422 and 422(HQ) files. I didnt think this would be an issue, do i have to have them all be the same?"

FYI
422HQ is total overkill for that camera. It's really for 2K plus frame sizes, and all your getting is bigger files than standard ProRes.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:58:52 am

[Alfonso Pozzo] "I also have noticed some skipping when playing back only 422 and 422(HQ) files. I didnt think this would be an issue, do i have to have them all be the same?"

ProRes HQ is designed for file sizes larger than 1080. No need for that format for anything 1080 or smaller. In your second response you say you're playing off a LaCie Rugged Drive. Not really suitable for editing, it's a single drive. Generally you want at least a two drive RAID for video editing.

[Alfonso Pozzo] "Does anyone have any suggestions for a quick fix to this problem? Other than spending an entire night converting all of my XDCAM EX ftg to ProRes422?"

Not really, run the footage through Compressor to convert and then edit.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Register now for our Open House March 5

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:40:46 pm

I will say, that if the end product is going through compressor, don't sweat stuttered playback - all the frames will make it through the compression pipeline.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]