FORUMS: list search recent posts

slow Motion with 24p?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
slow Motion with 24p?
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:06:32 pm

So below is a link to a video that has some really nice slow Motion in it. I've download this video and its says in 25 fps so its PAL. My question is related to 24p video, so below is only a reference for what I'm looking for.

In videos like this where there is speed ramping, how are they doing this? I understand under and over-cranking the camera to achieve speed changes but how would you do this mid frame with no edit points using 24p material? Meaning, how do you slow down 24p material without having 60p material conformed to 24p.

Normally I'd shoot and edit in 24p. Any slowMo needed would be shot either at 60p and conformed to 24p using Cinema Tools or FCP DVCPro HD frame rate converter or I'd overcrank the camera shooting in 24PN. Doing this I'd have to shoot the scene twice and splice in the clean slowMo. This material doesn't have any edit points, rather it uses ramping. How is this done because I know FCP's speed controls aren't that great and add in frame blending.

I'm also aware that you can use compressor and its frame controls, but this stuff looks way to smooth for that. Is something like Twixtor used? This stuff is so clean I want to use this method in an upcoming project. How's it done? And done correctly?

FYI, I've posted similar questions in the past but this one varies a bit. Sorry for any reposts.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1944222

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
Re: slow Motion with 24p?
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:29:26 pm

There are many threads that explain this. Search for "slow motion 7D twixtor" to get you started. You can also get a decent slow-mo using Motion so search around for workflows for that, too.

tony

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:29:31 pm

That's some amazing stuff in that video. I'm guessing Twixtor. I'd also guess they shot everything at 50p in PAL land, giving them perfect 2:1 slo-mo and convert the 50P to 25P for regular speed use.

Cheers

John C

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:54:44 pm

thx John. I guess I could always shoot and edit in 60p, I'm talking 720p60 here, rather than 24p but then I loose the 24p effect/look.

thx for the advice guys, I'll search around. i know this is a popular topic here on the cow.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:25:22 pm

I think the brits have it easy with cameras that switch from 50 to 25. I have a Panasonic HMC150 that shoots 24 30 or 60. In the UK that same camera (HMC151) can shoot 25 or 50. 50P doesn't give you quite as much slomo, but in this instance, it's more versatile. I'd love to have 48P as an option on my camera for exactly that reason.

Cheers

John

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:56:22 pm

Twixtor or Motion (with optical flow on.) Compressor with optical flow. Boris FX with Optical flow. Media Composer with FluidMotion.

Or in camera. Pretty much a bunch of software on the market has an optical retiming when it wasn't shot that way.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Murry
on Feb 16, 2011 at 5:14:39 pm

The full behind the edit info of "Freerun" can be found here - http://www.claudiu.co.uk/2010/12/storm-freerun-behind-the-edit/#more-2215

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]