FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing 60i footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Morin
Editing 60i footage
on Feb 9, 2011 at 4:59:24 pm

I've been shooting in 1920x1080 60i and when exported I'm getting the weird horizontal lines during fast movement. I solved the problem by using the de-interlace feature. My question is am I doing this correctly or am I completely nulling the effect 60i should have in the first place. Any techniques or recommendations?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
Re: Editing 60i footage
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:12:45 pm

Those lines are normal being that its 60i or 60 interlaced fields per second. Which is 29.97 frames per second. If for broadcast, this is normal to have interlaced fields. They are most visible on computer monitors. Are you viewing on an external broadcast monitor or TV? If so, they wouldn't be that noticeable.

If using for web, you'll want progressive, try de-linterlacing in Compressor turning on frame controls for smoother motion.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:15:11 pm

Depending on what your final output needs to be you could be doing it right. Depends on if you need to keep your footage interlaced or not. Is this for web, TV? Final specs?

tony

Return to posts index

Andy Morin
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:21:07 pm

This is for the web and i was just viewing it on my mac monitor, so that might have been the error. So just de-interlacing should be fine then? If it's for web only, should i even shoot in 60i or would i be better off on another setting?

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:27:54 pm

60i is fine for web as long as you deinterlace (in compressor preferably like Matt mentioned) the final file. Also depends on what "style" you're going for (24p gives you a film look, 60i is a live TV look) Shooting with a progressive format would save you a step but if you want to keep the 1080 resolution and live TV look your workflow is fine.

tony

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:51:24 pm

As Tony suggests, it depends on your look. I'm always for shooting everything progresssive. Depending on what camera you use will help. I use the Panasonic HVX 200. And almost always shoot 720p24PN or 30PN because its a native progressive format and 30p is so easily converted to Interlaced if need be.

But again, you can totally de-interlace your 60i material after the fact.

OS 10.6.3, Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 16 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]