FORUMS: list search recent posts

MpegStreamclip better than FCP at making Prores 422 Clips??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Evs
MpegStreamclip better than FCP at making Prores 422 Clips??
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:14:17 am

I tried converting some h.264 clips (straight out of my Canon 550d) using FCP, into prores 422. The clips were laggy and terrible.

But then I tried converting the same clips using MpegStreamclip and the resulting prores 422 clips worked awesome, liquid smooth.

is this normal???

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MpegStreamclip better than FCP at making Prores 422 Clips??
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:20:56 am

[Jay Evs] "I tried converting some h.264 clips (straight out of my Canon 550d) using FCP, into prores 422. The clips were laggy and terrible."

HOW did you convert them with FCP?

[Jay Evs] "is this normal???"

No...because I use Log and Transfer to convert Canon DSLR footage, and it all looks great.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:56:57 am

Has anyone tried this one?
http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/
Stuck on 32bit (needs 64bit) at home and a System Admin with passwords and penchant for clean systems at work.

Here's a Mpeg Streamclip vs 5dtorgb comparision:

Hard to make comparison from this video apart from the obvious gamma difference.

Jon

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:01:54 pm

I'm a big fan of 5DtoRGB although it takes a lot longer to run the conversion. Quality is better, but the extra quality is overkill for anything that isn't going to be graded fairly heavily.
5DtoRGB is advantageous over MPEG Streamclip as 5DtoRGB automatically adds the timecode from the .THM files. With MPEG Streamclip converted files you have to add timecode afterwards using QuickTime Change from Video Toolshed.
FCP adds the timecode automatically if you convert via Log and Transfer and is more user friendly for offline-to-online workflows, but it is my last choice.

Alex Elkins
Twitter: @postbluetv
http://www.PostBlue.tv
Shot on RED @ 100fps, Post on FCP/Color: Capoeira Film

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:32:31 pm

Personally, overall I've had much less crashes converting large quantities of clips with MPEG Streamclip than with Final Cut or compressor, but both output pretty much the same quality. Final Cut does give you timecode which is nice. Another alternative is Magic Bullet Grinder.

tony

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]