FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio syncing drift issue with PluralEyes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dell Martinez
Audio syncing drift issue with PluralEyes
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:56:02 am

Hello fellow Cows,
I've got another audio sync drift with PluralEyes problem and was hoping to ask the community for some badly needed help. I'm converting footage and audio and prepping synced FCP project files for a mini doc project for another individual. I'm working from media on an external hard drive. Both the audio and video were captured with highly commercial products. The video footage is from a Flip Ultra HD camera (which has it's own 2 audio channels). It's original capture format was MP4 720p at 30fps 1280 x 720. I've compressed it to Apple HDV 720p30 1280 x 720 for editing. (ProRes was too big) Most of the footage to be synced is longer talking head shots. some up to 4 gigs.
The separate audio was captured as Windows Media Audio files by a hand held Olympus DM-420 voice recorder. I've converted that to MP3 with all2MP3 & then to AIFF 48/16 with Compressor.
The problem is that at the beginning the audio syncs perfectly and then gets more & more out of sync. I've tried to slow down or speed up the audio in STP. I've changed my easy set up to 30fps. I've chopped up the video track. Nothing has worked so far. I understand FCP (I'm working with 7.0.3) applies a frame rate to the audio tracks that are dragged into the time line. My sequence setting match the video file specs exactly.
Is there a solution to this? PluralEyes doesn't seem to help much. Should I apply some sort of in & out points prior to syncing or markers? Or is this simply bad media?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Dell

Return to posts index

Paul Williamson
Re: Audio syncing drift issue with PluralEyes
on Apr 7, 2011 at 9:30:01 am

Just signed up to help you here.

The main issue is that the flip cameras are notorious for sync drift. I used one to record a 50 minute band recording, and it was painful syncing it after. Certainly doable, but pluraleyes isn't going to help, so you'll have to manually nudge it into place.

Ok - so your project is set up to 48kHz? Well your first issue is that the flip's audio is 44.1kHz, so that might need converting. A quick way to get the flip video in sync with your separate audio is to speed it up slightly. I think my flip camera needs its speed adjusting to something daft like 100.02%.

Obviously it was easier for me as I had a long recording so the drift was much easier.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]