FORUMS: list search recent posts

Show Quicktime Alpha Channels

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard White Jr.
Show Quicktime Alpha Channels
on Feb 8, 2011 at 11:36:47 pm

I've search but haven't found anything that seems to address my issue. I'm super new to Final Cut Pro and know jack about what I'm doing at the moment. Mostly fooling around to get use to the UI. At one point (before the mac went down) I was able render an animation in Blender (blender.org) as a Quicktime file with an Alpha channel, and bring it into Final Cut with the Alpha already showing. Now, since then my Mac has had a few issues that have all been fixed. But know it seems to have resorted to it's default settings and the Alpha channels no longer show up automatically. I've used the same file and even tried importing the video into the FCP again. Still no luck. I know the Videos' alpha channels work because they stiil work in Flash.

can anyone tell me how to get it to work again? It'll save a TON of resources on production time for me. I can provide a test animation that has the same Alpha channel as the other videos. OH! I'm using Final Cut Pro 6.0.4 and the mac it's on stays offline for security purposes.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Show Quicktime Alpha Channels
on Feb 8, 2011 at 11:48:11 pm

How about:

Format of video working on?
Codec used to create vid w/ Alpha?
Sequence settings?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Evan Fitzer
on Feb 9, 2011 at 1:08:24 am

Richard:
As already mentioned, I don't know what any of your current setting are, but, you might try this. Import your clip into the browser. Use the scroll bar at the bottom of the browser and scroll to the right until you see the "Alpha" column. Right click on your clip's alpha designation and a drop down menu should appear. Click on "straight". Now, drop your clip into a timeline and see if it keys.
If not, try re-encoding your clip using the "Animation" QT codec. That should work too.

Evan Fitzer
Kamloops, BC

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Feb 9, 2011 at 1:45:46 am

Also, since you mentioned you were super new to this...keep in mind:

You will get WAY better performance using ProRes in Final Cut. If you are using FCP v7, they released a new ProRes flavor (4444) that can include an alpha channel. It should be accessible as a render codec in Blender.

-Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]