FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor issues...ughh

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Cook
Compressor issues...ughh
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:45:55 pm

Ok, before someone shoots me, I have read most of the threads about compressor HD to SD conversion, but I haven't been able to see an answer which helps.

I have 20 videos I need to convert down from 1080iHD to SD which total about 112 minutes of video to fit on a 8.5 GIG dual layer disc. I've tried the "DVD: Best Quality 120" AND "DVD: Best Quality 90". My Bit Rates are 6.4 avg to 7.6 max / 2 pass...both settings look crappy, graphics look choppy around the edges and the aspect looks much smaller (I guess that's 720). The self-contained QT files (same settings as timeline) that I'm sending to Compressor look great but are like 2 GIG each.

The only difference in these two settings would be the bit rate, right? so if I jack the bit rate up on 120 minutes, there really isn't a difference? Its not going to save more space? Is there a way to save space through cutting back on audio quality? Is the Bit Rate what affects the quality of the graphics?

There has to be a setting I'm missing to get at least the graphics to look acceptable and fit 112 min on a dual layer disc...Its going to be on a LCD at a large trade show so I need it to look as good as SD can Possibly look! Thanks, Anthony

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Compressor issues...ughh
on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:11:31 pm

Turn on your frame controls in Compressor.
You can up the data rate but you can only fit so much on a disc, ya know?
Up it some and see if you can still fit it all on the DL disc. If not, dial it back some.

Frame control will help.
you have 16X9 widescreen letterbox selected too right? This would be the correct aspect ratio settings.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:41:01 pm

[Chris Tompkins] "Turn on your frame controls in Compressor."

Also, try the "Best" settings in frame controls. Helps a bunch with 1080 footage.

tony

Return to posts index

Chris Brandt
on Feb 9, 2011 at 4:10:07 am

What file format are you exporting to? For DVD I normally export to m2v and aiff, then convert the aiff to ac3 (reduces the audio file size by a great deal).

Also, what are you sampling your created files on? The same system you'll be screening them on? I've noticed that the DVD player and monitor system I used for playback can make a great deal of difference.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:44:23 pm

There is no "one size fits all" when dealing with optimizing your footage for playback in any heavily compressed format.

The "settings" are only starting points that need to be adjusted for your particular video elements. I agree with the previous poster that by turning on your frame controls and playing with the settings there is a great place to start.

You are essentially resizing a 16x9 image to fit into a 4x3 frame and maintain the correct aspect ratio without losing to much quality.

Take a small 10sec sample of your footage and keep tweaking the settings until you get something that looks " pretty good"

Return to posts index

Anthony Cook
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:34:20 pm

I'm going to M2v and Ac3. Yeah, I'm checking the M2v files on my mac pro with a Dell widescreen monitor. I've seen the output of these settings on HD tvs, computer screens, regular 4x3 TV sets, through DVD and Xbox players. Either Apple's Compressor is a piece of crap or someone out there is holding out on how to get REAL quality HD to SD encodes. I mean, I've read a LOT of posts on it, tried tons of the suggestions and still haven't been satisfied with any of the results.

My file size is going from 2.05 GIG to 474.2 MB for the M2v...isn't there a middle ground here? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!!

EXPORT FILE:
1920x1080
MPeg-2 video, linear PCM, time-code
Color profile: HD (1-1-1)

COMPRESSOR OUTPUT FILE:
Settings: 90 min (after tweaking settings, says 70 min per layer)
Mpeg-2, 720X480,
Frame Controls On
Motion Estimation: Best
Re-size filter: Best (statistical prediction)
Output Fields: Progressive
De-interlace Filter: Best (Motion Compensated)
Rate Conversion: Best
Avg Bit Rate: 7.3, Max 8.6
2pass VBR Best

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:48:03 pm

Uhhh,.... you're not deinterlacing are you?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Anthony Cook
on Feb 9, 2011 at 7:33:26 pm

Hmm...I don't really want to. I used a Flicker Filter/ deinterlace filter to get rid of the HD edge jaggies you see at 100% view during editing. I can't find a way not to have compressor effect interlacing...here are the instances where I have to choose and maybe this is where I'm messing up:

Video Format Tab: Field Dominance, choices are -
Top first
Bottom first
Progressive
and Automatic is greyed out

Frame Control Tab:
Output fields -
Same as source
Progressive

So what do I choose to NOT Deinterlace? Thanks!
Top first
Bottom first

Deinterlacing -
Fast
Better
Best
and I don't know what reverse telecine means....

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Feb 9, 2011 at 7:41:38 pm

If you shot and edited progressive and output current settings
make a progressive DVD
compress to mpeg2 progressive.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Anthony Cook
on Feb 9, 2011 at 7:50:38 pm

My sequence settings are "HDV - 1080i60" which says its upper field dominance and it says "Anamorphic 16:9: Off"...So I see that I should be choosing upper anytime it asks in compressor, but what do i set the Deinterlace option to under frame controls? Fast, Better, Best, or Reverse Telecine? I've tried best and its not great

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:01:36 pm

OK, So stay Interlaced for you DVD. This is fine.

In Compressor:

Frame Control On

Resize Filter - Best
Output Fields - Same as Source
Deinterlace - Best
Rate Conversion - Best

Let us know how this looks for you.

Also, Format Tab:

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:07:02 pm

Leave the interlacing as it is. It's the scaling that causes HD footage to look bad on an SD DVD. Set the Resize filter to "Best".

Frame Controls: "On"
Resize Filter: "Best" (this is the most important setting IMO)
Output fields: Same As Source
Deinterlace: "Fast" (this actually won't be doing anything but no reason to slow it down by selecting "Best")
Rate Conversion: "Fast"

Adjust your bit rate to as high as you can go and still fit it all on a dual-layer DVD. Your total media size should be no more than around 8GB. Save yourself some time and use a One Pass CBR.

Return to posts index

Anthony Cook
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:06:42 pm

Thanks for the help guys! I'm thinking the Motion Graphics that I created for the 9th quad watermark are just too intricate for SD. I tried both suggestions and for the life of me can't see any change....even at 7.3 vbr 8.5 max.
My last question is if my exported QT files (which are 1080i) will burn and play on a normal dvd player, Blue ray just allows you to fit more on a disc, right? Or does DVDSP or iDVD automatically down grade it to SD? I've put a few of the HD QT files and they looked great on a LCD, but I couldn't fit all 20 vids.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:49:10 am

[Anthony Cook] "My last question is if my exported QT files (which are 1080i) will burn and play on a normal dvd player"

No. Normal set-top DVD players only play properly authored standard definition DVDs.

[Anthony Cook] "Blue ray just allows you to fit more on a disc, right?"

In terms of raw data storage, Blu-ray discs hold 25 GB (50 for dual layer); DVDs hold 4.7 GB (8.5 DL).

Blu-ray video discs allow HD video, unlike DVD, which is SD only.

[Anthony Cook] "Or does DVDSP or iDVD automatically down grade it to SD? "

DVDSP and iDVD can only author standard definition DVDs. (Technically, DVDSP can also author HD DVD, but this is the now-defunct format that lost to Blu-ray.)

You can author very basic, template-driven Blu-ray discs from FCP/Compressor with the most recent release of Final Cut Studio. Toast also offers simple Blu-ray authoring. Adobe Encore offers more extensive Blu-ray authoring, and truly serious Blu-ray work must be done on PC-based systems.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]