FORUMS: list search recent posts

60i, 24p, 24i Converting Frame Rate in Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Giardina
60i, 24p, 24i Converting Frame Rate in Compressor
on Feb 8, 2011 at 5:39:36 pm

Hi Everyone

I have a real mess... 4 camera mixed bag for a 3-movement classical concert. Two cameras are HDV 60i, one camera HDV 24i, and one DSLR HD 24p.

I know the rule is to convert up, but to what in this case? I'm thinking the DSLR will then be transcoded to match the converted HDV footage.

Thanks All!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 60i, 24p, 24i Converting Frame Rate in Compressor
on Feb 8, 2011 at 5:58:36 pm

[Frank Giardina] "...one camera HDV 24i.."

By this I presume you mean 1080i 24p, correct?

Yeah, that's a mess, all right.
Now the big question: at which frame rate do you need to deliver the finished product? 23.976 (aka 23.98) or 59.94i?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Feb 8, 2011 at 6:29:52 pm

Hi Dave!!

Yes, 1080 ... delivered as 23.976 I'm thinking. It's for a cellist, I'll be giving her a DVD, but primarily it's for the web as self-promotion (YouTube and Vimeo, etc....)

Best Regards!!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 8, 2011 at 7:12:36 pm

If you need to deliver 23.976, then you should convert all frame rates to 23.976. and work at 23.976. You'll need to remove the pulldown from the 1080 24p stuff, and use compressor on the HDV 60i stuff to get it to 23.976.

It's not shot yet, so you'll have the opportunity to convert all the footage to FCP's goto codec, ProRes 422. I presume you know how to do it for HDV. For the DSLR stuff, watch this:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

When done with the edit, you can use Compressor to create the mpeg2 video & ac3 audio files for DVD authoring, and DVD Studio Pro to author a 16x9 DVD... and at 24p, to boot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:42:25 pm

Thanks Again Dave!!

I have already transcoded the DSLR footage to ProRes 422. I have not converted HDV footage with compressor yet. This mess is a first for me. I've done some research... I think I have a pretty good idea on how to do it, at lease I hope I do.

I may put this project on hold for a week-ish, working with ProRes 422 on my dual-core system is an issue. I'm ordering my qual-core Mac Pro this Friday actually.

Best Tuesday Afternoon Regards!!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]