FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving Pictures jolty in timeline and export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lloyd Richey
Moving Pictures jolty in timeline and export
on Feb 7, 2011 at 11:31:06 pm

Allright, first time post so bare with me. I'm creating a project in FCP that has videos and pictures in it. Showing the pictures is no problem, but at one point I have several roll across the screen horizontally and when they do they stutter every couple seconds. Every pic in the line on the screen at that time stutter in their respective spots simultaneously. The pics are optimized from CR2 to jpg in Photoshop. I know pics do not have a timecode technically, but if I look at the "item properties" on the pics they are 23.98 fps and my project is 29.97, so it's the only thing I can think of. I then clicked on the pic from the bin and brought it up in the viewer, took a screenshot (shift+N) and the result was 29.97 fps, but the problem still exists. I'm about to pull out my hair! Any ideas?

Project Settings: 1920x1080 HDTV 1080i, 29.97, Field Dominance=Upper (Odd), Apple ProRes 422 (LT)
I let FCP choose the settings based on the video imported.

MacPro, 10.6.5, 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 ram, RadeonX1900

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
Re: Moving Pictures jolty in timeline and export
on Feb 8, 2011 at 1:39:01 am

The framerate of the images displayed in the Browser doesn't matter, they'll conform to whatever framerate your timeline is once you drop them in.

A few questions before we can answer:
• How large are the images (pixels and file size) you're trying to move?
• How are you moving them? Simple Motion tab keyframing or some sort of plugin?
• How do you have your Final Cut playback options set? If you have your framerate set to Dynamic then Final Cut might be dropping frames to keep up with the graphic intensive scene.

I would suggest exporting it and making sure it's not just a playback issue within Final Cut but based on the subject I think you have already tried that.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Mac Pro | Leopard 10.5.7
2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 4GB Ram
Final Cut Pro Studio 2 | Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 8, 2011 at 4:11:24 am

Make sure your keyframes are whole even numbers

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Lloyd Richey
on Feb 8, 2011 at 4:13:31 pm

Hey thanks for the response. I'm sure this is gonna sound noob, but do you mean whole, even numbers apart? (as in a whole second would be 30 frames apart instead of making them 29 frames apart? If so I'm already doing that) Or are you talking about the numbers used for the x and y coordinates on each frame?

Return to posts index

Lloyd Richey
on Feb 8, 2011 at 4:03:02 pm

The images are exported from Photoshop as a jpg at 1080 pixels tall (width varies pic to pic) and 72 resolution. I use "save as" since "save for web" alters the color just a little bit. They usually come out to be between 500k to 1.2mb. I am moving them with keyframes in the motion tab. My playback settings are as follows:

Safe RT
Playback Video Quality: Medium
Playback Frame Rate: Full
Multiclip Playback
Record to Tape: Use Playback Settings

Thanks for any/all help.

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:02:30 pm

Well Lloyd, based on that I'm not sure what the problem could be. I do exactly what you described every day without issue so I'm bit at a loss.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Mac Pro | Leopard 10.5.7
2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 4GB Ram
Final Cut Pro Studio 2 | Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]