FORUMS: list search recent posts

23.98 to 25 frame conversion software solution

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Black FCP
23.98 to 25 frame conversion software solution
on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:09:28 pm

I'm working at a company producing animated episodes to air on television all over the world. We are working at 23.98, doing all of our color-correction and finishing in-house. We do not require a tape delivery this time around. We are shipping ProRes4444 quicktimes to be distributed worldwide. However, we need to deliver at both 23.98 and 25 fps. Last time, we generated a 23.98 master tape, from which we made a 25 frame dub and then made deliveries from that source.

If memory serves, I believe I was told that just popping a 23.98 quicktime or sequence into a 25 fps sequence in Final Cut doesn't produce accurate results, but that may have been an older issue. We got an expensive quote from a post house to do this conversion and the impression we got was that they have some software solution for this. Is there a way to do this with Final Cut Studio, or is there a more robust software program that's needed?

Thanks,
Michael

Return to posts index

Shonit Jain
Re: 23.98 to 25 frame conversion software solution
on Feb 7, 2011 at 11:03:02 pm

You should be able to do this in Compressor. I would recommend use a small ProRes4444 quicktime clip and play with some of the formats you think would work.

1. In compressor drag and drop your quicktime file and choose a destination.
2. Then drag and drop the settings from the settings tab.
3. Then (I think) you have to click on the setting or the video clip to activate the inspector where you can change the frame-rate.

Personally I have used compressor to trancode DLSR footage to Pro Res, and the above might not be the right thing to do. I suggest requesting some help on the compressor forum if the above experiment does not yield you expected results.

Hope this helps.

Photgrapher, Videographer, Web Designer, Editor, Still and Motion Graphic Designer yet not Invincible - Only an EYETOGRAPHER
Pls Like - http://facebook.com/eyetography

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2011 at 12:24:06 am

Does timing need to match exactly? If not, use Cinema Tools and CONFORM. If so, you might try Compressor, do tests. FCP does not do this properly on the timeline.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 8, 2011 at 2:58:03 am

[Michael Black FCP] "We got an expensive quote from a post house to do this conversion and the impression we got was that they have some software solution for this."

A big post facility would use an Alchemist or a Teranex to do the frame rate conversion. Unless you can just reconform the footage (changing the run length of the programs) as Shane suggested, these are your best options.

They are dedicated machines, not just software packages, and they are very expensive to purchase.

Alchemist uses motion compensation in its frame rate conversion for improved quality. Teranex just announced this as a new feature at the last IBC, so be sure to ask about motion compensation if you go this route.

I believe that some broadcasters have specific delivery requirements about what format conversions are acceptable, so you may have to review delivery specs to make sure you're compliant.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Sep 27, 2013 at 11:12:31 pm

Hi I have to mix material shot in 24 fps (23.98) with 25 fps in the same timeline and then deliver it at 25 fps. I don't have to use synch sound and video but when I convert 24 to 25 with )compressor 4 I can see the frame which is double. It's like a small freeze.
Is there a better way to do it? Perhaps a converter which makes frame blending?

Thanks...

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]