FORUMS: list search recent posts

(re)capturing from Canon DSLR media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tory Stewart
(re)capturing from Canon DSLR media
on Feb 7, 2011 at 8:32:18 pm

I posted this problem a couple months ago but have not found any encouraging information in the meantime. Basically I am having a lot of trouble batch capturing from my backed-up CF cards (the same problem posted, and unresolved, here). I have left the files from which the media was originally logged and transferred completely untouched and yet when I run batch capture tests the log & transfer window will not recognize the volume. Because I am concerned about this issue I have been listing the original MVI_#### file name in the logging information of every clip I transfer, so I can at least find the H.264 file, re-transfer, and eye match if worst comes to absolute worst. Is there any way I can point FCP to individual H.264 files to batch capture since it is unable to recognize the volumes?

I'm sorry to repost, I'm just hoping for some encouraging news. If I am not going to be able to deliver a final FCP project with the H.264 files and expect someone at an online facility to be able to batch capture from those files I will need to start backing-up my ProRes 422 files instead. Can anyone weigh in on whether this is a problem across the board with the Canon DSLRs and if there is any known solution?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
Re: (re)capturing from Canon DSLR media
on Feb 7, 2011 at 8:44:52 pm

I think this might be your problem... The way the Log and Transfer works in Final Cut with the Canon files is it looks for the original folder layout that was on the compact flash cards. I don't have a flash card with me right now but it's something like DCIM/EOS100/1234MVI.MOV. If you create the at folder structure and then just point it to the DCIM folder (or whatever it is) then Final Cut should recognize it.

Also, you could have errors with some files. I'd recommended you use a file verification software when you first load the compact flash cards in so that if there is a problem with a clip, you will know then. The one I use is called Shotput Pro.

tony

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 7, 2011 at 8:46:14 pm

Read this....this blog deals with the exact issue you are having.

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/4109/a-few-words-of-warning-for-the-eos-m...

There is a solution posted in the comments...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tory Stewart
on Feb 7, 2011 at 8:52:58 pm

Thanks so much Shane, I had missed this. I'm happy I'm not crazy and that there are some workarounds
as I move forward.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2011 at 9:47:05 pm

If you have questions, please let me know. This "bug" is ultra annoying, as are DSLRs for video in general.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Feb 8, 2011 at 7:53:32 am

In the context of this discussion....

Am I a heretic [or an idiot] for bypassing the Log&Transfer protocol all together???
I find the whole thing incredibly convoluted and I don't like how there is often a difference between the way FCP reads the meta data, and what the clips are named at the Finder level.

So, what I do with HDSLR footage is:First thing, change all the file names to something relevant to the shoot using Name Mangler [Eg. John_Smith_A_001, etc] : http://www.manytricks.com/namemangler/

Then I make a clone of the drive so that the clips with the new names are on the clone drive.

Then, I transcode using MPEG Streamclip to ProRes - keeping identical names as the originals [just in a different folder, obviously]

And edit away.

The upside is that from the get-go all the files have a discrete, unique and relevant name, and I can go back to the original H.264 source footage [with the same name] at any time if I need to.

The only major downside, that I haven't been able so solve yet [maybe you have suggestions] is that obviously I'm not able to add Reel Names and timecode to the clips.
Now, I know I can add Reel names in the Browser, but without timecode it doesn't help the 'Duplicate Clips' feature because all the clips start at 00:00:00:

But even without having Reelnames and timecode it seems worth it because I have clips with unique names that makes sense, even at the Finder level.

Now, considering the experts over here don't work this way tells me that I'm probably doing something very wrong [or, at the very least, not ideal]. So please feel free to alert me to any potential problems or gotchas with my workflow - in the event that I'm deluding myself with this.

Thanks,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:03:25 am

[Wayne Marx] "I find the whole thing incredibly convoluted"

Why? Because FCP is converting the footage to ProRes, just like MPEG STREAMCLIP is. Why is it convoluted?

[Wayne Marx] "I don't like how there is often a difference between the way FCP reads the meta data, and what the clips are named at the Finder level"

If you rename them after you import, FCP still remembers the original name. The only issue with the re-importing is the FILE PATH. If things are moved. But when you convert with FCP, you can rename, and even use the RENAME FILE TO MATCH CLIP and FCP will STILL remember the original file name.

So you are taking the time to rename the clips, even with an automatic app that does it...and then cloning that drive, instead of just using Log and Transfer...ok, that's time wasted, IMHO. And in my biz, time is money.

[Wayne Marx] "The only major downside, that I haven't been able so solve yet [maybe you have suggestions] is that obviously I'm not able to add Reel Names and timecode to the clips. "

Having a REEL NUMBER and UNIQUE TIMECODE, to me, is far more important than needing your unique names. I can always change the names when I import...and FCP 7 has a way to automate the name change...and still link back to the original. But, with Canon footage, the issue of the same file path does not pertain in any way to the naming you do in L&T or in FCP. That is a separate issue. With L&T I can rename, and get a reel number that matches to a folder, and get unique timecode. To me, that is HUGE.

But, if your process works for you...stick with it. There are more than 9 ways to skin a cat. Everyone has a different method to get to their desired goal.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:16:08 am

Shane,

Thanks - and it could be that I'm just not understanding the L&T workflow fully, so I'm going to look at it closer again [and watch your valuable tutorials again].

Thanks again,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2011 at 1:22:04 pm

If it works for you Wayne, that's cool. I like to have clips that are named something useful, and i also cant work without timecode. We often have multi cam shoots and while the tc on the canon is a guide at best, but it's still a useful guide. Since the log and transfer mechanism adds tc from the date stamp on the camera we can set our camera that do support tc and set them all to the same tod and free run the cameras. It works ok.

The canon log and transfer plug in should work. All other tapeless formats allow the relog and transfer of material without a hitch. Something is very broken with the canon plugin.

Using QtChange you can add reel and tc to the clips if you aren't going to use log and transfer. You can set a custom reel name and then the application can read the date stamp from the THM files. You would then rename the files and use another application to transcode the h264s to something ProRes keeping the reel and tc in tact. This will break any relationship to the original files and you won't be able to log and transfer the footage after this process as the log and transfer plugin will crash after you add tc and reel to the h264s.

Also, log and transfer is very handy in offline/online workflows. When you have 1TB of shot footage (h264), i like to keep the offline edit transcode light and a small. I can then online only the clips i need later and using log and transfer makes this process pretty easy.

Also, from now on, a person should make disk images of all the HDSLR media cards which will then circumvent the log and transfer issue. It won't help project that has already been started.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Sawchuk
on Feb 10, 2011 at 8:22:16 pm

"Also, from now on, a person should make disk images of all the HDSLR media cards which will then circumvent the log and transfer issue. It won't help project that has already been started. "

Jeremy, could you flesh this comment out a bit? I'm going to make the plunge into DSLR video and I'd appreciate your insights on how to "solve" the problem, before creating it...

Thanks,
Craig

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2011 at 9:03:00 pm

Read this and then the comments that follow. It's all in there. if you have more questions, lemme know.

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/4109/a-few-words-of-warning-for-the-eos-m...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]