FORUMS: list search recent posts

Invalid Serial Number?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Gerlach
Invalid Serial Number?
on Feb 7, 2011 at 8:16:11 pm

Well, I have a feeling that this one might get chalked up to "get what you pay for", but here goes anyway!

About a year and a half ago, I bought a used copy of FCP Studio 5.1 retail, complete with original discs, manuals in the original box. Upon loading, I entered my name and the provided serial number, and the software has functioned fine ever since (including the automatic update to 5.1.4).

Then, time for an upgrade! Bought a used retail upgrade to FCS2 a couple of weeks ago, again complete with all original disks, manuals and packaging. After entering the included serial number, the prompt stated that this was an upgrade and requested I enter my serial number for my original FCP. After doing so, I received a prompt that said that this serial number was invalid. Could the old number be invalid even though it functioned fine on the install of 5.1?

Any thought would be greatly appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Invalid Serial Number?
on Feb 8, 2011 at 12:26:24 am

Does you version of FCP 5.1 say ACADEMIC? On the box or on the startup screen? If so, it isn't upgradeable.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Gerlach
on Feb 8, 2011 at 1:47:33 am

No, at least I was familiar with the Academic/Retail issue. I was careful to ask when I bought it, and nothing is marked as such.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2011 at 2:32:19 am

Time to call Apple..

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Feb 8, 2011 at 2:01:22 am

There were also 2 versions of the upgrade. Upgrade from Final Cut Pro and Upgrade from Production Suite. I have both. Bought for 2 different edit systems.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Chris Gerlach
on Feb 8, 2011 at 3:47:14 am

Uh Oh...
I guess you're on to something Steve...
After your post, and a bit more investigation I find that my upgrade IS for FCP Production Suite! Appears that this upgrade is compatible with everything up through all versions previous to mine. Jeez. My fault though, not the sellers. Looks like its back to the auction block!
Thanks very much for your input guys!

Return to posts index

Lloyd Lathrop
on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:12:09 am

This response made me check the version I recently purchased. I own Final Cut Studio (which includes FCP HD 4.5, et al) and I thought I bought the upgrade to FCS2 from FCS. Now I'm nervous. How can you tell which one you have? The label on my upgrade says "FINAL CUT STUDIO 2 UPG FROM FCS" but it won't accept the original serial #. Is therer a separate serial # for the entire suite or is the FCP serial number from the original FCS supposed to be the one to use?

I hope that makes sense...

Lloyd

Return to posts index

Chris Gerlach
on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:32:03 am

I'm sure there are some folks on this forum that could answer this question better than I could, but I'll be glad to relate my experience and maybe that will help...

Before upgrading my FCP Studio, I was using FCP 5.1.4. (I had purchased 5.1, and the ".4" was an auto on-line upgrade.) When I wanted to upgrade to FCP6 (Studio 2), without knowing better, I bought the "Upgrade from Final Cut Pro or Production Suite". The product number was MA887/A. Well, there's the trouble... I technically I didn't have "Production Suite" to begin with! So when I entered the serial #, it said it was Invalid.

Turns out what I actually needed was the "Upgrade from Final Cut Studio", product number MA888/A. Bought it, and it took the serial number just fine, and upgraded with no problem.

One concern I have about your post is that you mentioned having FCP 4.5. I'm wondering if the trouble you are having is due to you not having the most recent version (FCP 5.1.4)???

Return to posts index

Lloyd Lathrop
on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:44:05 am

Thanks for the reply, Chris. The upgrade I bought is supposed to work with FCS (which includes FCP 4.5), which is what I've been using for approximately nine years. I might try using the FCP3 serial number at some point to see if maybe that works. The other thing that has me wondering if this all "meshes" is that the only serial numbers I have for FCS are for the individual programs (FCP 4.5, DVD Studio Pro, and Motion), not for, as far as I can tell, the overall Studio.

Here's to hoping Apple can fix this... ;)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 19, 2012 at 3:38:08 am

Actually, Final Cut Studio, which was the first time Apple bundled FCP and cinema tools and motion and soundtrack pro and compressor and DVD Studio pro, came with FCP 5. Studio 2 was FCP 6 and Studio 3, or Studio 2009 (as Apple didn't call it Studio 3) came with FCP 7. FCP 4.5 was a stand alone app. Not part of any package.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Lloyd Lathrop
on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:59:00 am

DAMN! Correct you are, sir. I just looked it up. I have Final Cut Pro HD 4.5, DVD Studio Pro 3, Motion, LiveType 1.2, Soundtrack 1.2, and Compressor 1.2. So I needed an upgrade from Production Suite to Studio 2 then. I could have sworn that this said it would upgrade Production Suite, also (or at least FCP HD 4.5).

Know anyone who wants to buy FCS2 upgrade from FCS?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]