FORUMS: list search recent posts

720p footage freezing on playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tucker Lucas
720p footage freezing on playback
on Feb 7, 2011 at 4:00:11 pm

So I'm editing 720p footage in ProRes. My sequence settings, file, everything were at 422 (HQ) but I was getting a lot of freezing on playback. The image would freeze but the audio would continue to play.

I figured it might have to do with my connection to my RAID (FW800) even though it should be able to handle the data rate, and since I'm using the HQ, so I did a conversion of some footage to both LT and Proxy to see if they would at least give me a better speed for an "offline" edit.

Did the conversion, reconnected the footage, changed all of my settings to match the footage... same issue. Started a new sequence, dropped footage in it from LT and Proxy, same issue. I don't have this problem with SD footage, just HD.

I have no idea what's causing this. Just for reference, here are the specs of my equipment:

Intel Mac
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8GB 1066 MHz DDR3
OS X 10.6.6
RAID 5

Any help you can give me on this topic would be MUCH appreciated. I have a looming deadline and did not foresee this issue.

Tucker Lucas
Production Manager
Heartland Poker Tour
tucker@heartlandpokertour.com

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: 720p footage freezing on playback
on Feb 7, 2011 at 4:51:32 pm

What read/write speeds are you getting on your drive?

Use the AJA system test to check your drive speed.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 720p footage freezing on playback
on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:18:26 pm

....and to save quite a bit on the bitrate you're using, you should also know this: recording in ProRes HQ is overkill for 720p.

One of the handful of ways that ProRes HQ would be an asset rather than a liability would be in the following example:
  • Export a ProRes HQ clip from FCP.
  • Reimport the clip.
  • Export the clip again.
  • Repeat the process five more times.

If you can imagine a scenario where you'd actually do that -- good luck trying to come up with one -- then by all means knock yourself out and record in ProRes HQ. Otherwise, good ol' normal proRes 422 is more than adequate for your needs.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]