Where is this Shortcut???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Marx
Where is this Shortcut???
on Feb 6, 2011 at 6:39:35 pm

Hi there,

I can't seem to find this...

... is there a shortcut that will allow you to go from clip to clip in the browser, ie, play clip 1 in the viewer, hit [x], clip 2 is highlighted in the browser, click, plays in the viewer, hit [x], clip 3 is highlighted in the browser, click, plays in the viewer, etc etc etc

Thanks,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Steve Rogalinski
Input output question
on Feb 6, 2011 at 6:50:30 pm

Help!

I'm in a time crunch and totally confused.

I am creating a dvd from a bunch of clips I am downloading from the internet. I want them to look their best when they are shown on a projection screen. What is the best way to convert them, edit them in FCP, and create a DVD?

How do I handle various frame sizes? I plan to convert them to quicktimes with MPEG Streamclip b4 I bring them into FCP. Is this the way to go? When I export from MPEG Streamclip what should my compression and frame size settings be? I assume I should try to match them up with my FCP sequence. Is that right?

What should my sequence settings be for
  • frame size
  • aspect ratio
  • compression

Any quick response would be greatly appreciated

Steve Rogalinski

Return to posts index

Shonit Jain
Re: Input output question
on Feb 6, 2011 at 11:46:22 pm

Not sure why you replied to another person's post... But here is an answer dedicated to you...

Motion Picture Size
First, what is your sequence setting? NTSC, or 1080p or 720p. You can find this out by right clicking on your FCP sequence and seeing the Width X Height there. Lets assume for example that your resolution is 1080p or 1920 x 1080.

Resolution - 72 PPI (like photoshop)
So Final Cut keeps all images or frames of video at 72 ppi. When working with image just to make them POP and not have any res. issues I recommend 96 ppi. I would not recommend using any image which is lower then 1920 x 1080, and if you do use that, don't stretch it beyond 100%.
To get your images in 96 ppi simply open the image in Preview and then go to tools and then adjust size - there you will be able to enter Resolution as well.

Workflow
I am guessing you would like to dump many images at once? If this is true then...
> Go to the Effect's Tab and get slate, then cut your slate to the size you would like each picture to play for. So lets say you want one picture displayed for 10 seconds so your slates should be 10 seconds long. Keep copying and pasting them until you have enough that equal the images.
> So if you have 20 images then you should have like 20 black slates.
> Once the 20 black slates are ready be-sure that your playhead for the canvas is in the very beginning of your timeline.
> Finally, Select all your images, then click on the selection and then drag that to the canvas and drop them on "Fit to Fill."
> That will get all your slates replaced with all your images

If my instructions are confusing this might help too:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=final+cut+how+to+us...

Hope this helps - Don't forget to like my FACEBOOK page

Photgrapher, Videographer, Web Designer, Editor, Still and Motion Graphic Designer yet not Invincible - Only an EYETOGRAPHER
Pls Like - http://facebook.com/eyetography

Return to posts index

Steve Rogalinski
on Feb 7, 2011 at 6:27:57 am

I appreciate your advice and don't know why I'm attached to someone else's thread... new at this.

But I guess I failed to mention that I'm talking about using video - not stills. Sorry

Steve Rogalinski

Return to posts index

Shonit Jain
on Feb 7, 2011 at 8:02:50 am

Here is an idea.

notice - If you can play it back in quicktime then you will be able to use any clip in fcp. You will only have to render the clip to preview it in final cut... which can take very long and be annoying. If you don't want to do this you will have to convert them all in an fcp/apple friendly format.

I suggest using handbreak & vlc (google it, they are free softwares) to convert everything to MP4. Then when you bring in the first clip fcp will ask you to change your sequence to match that clip - once you agree everything should go good.

Inside handbreak choose Apple TV pre-sets, and I also recommend that you make all your frame rates the same, as you never know if you have some European PAL clips or even American which might be in 24 or 30

Hope this helps. Again don't forget to friend us on Facebook!

Photgrapher, Videographer, Web Designer, Editor, Still and Motion Graphic Designer yet not Invincible - Only an EYETOGRAPHER

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 7, 2011 at 6:47:28 pm

[Shonit Jain] "I suggest using handbreak & vlc (google it, they are free softwares) to convert everything to MP4. "

Sorry Shonit, but that's just not good advice. All MP4 files and all h.264 files need to be transcoded to a RT FCP codec. It's not an optional decision as you've implied, it's a standard workflow.

MP4 is not an editing codec in FCP. Yes, FCP will do some limited editing of the codec, but that's more of an accident on Apple's part at this point than a feature.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Rogalinski
on Feb 7, 2011 at 7:39:44 pm

Wow,

I really appreciate all the advice sent my way. Another question, since I am using a lot of crappy video from the web, I'm keeping everything in a smaller box over a clean background. Right now I'm doing it 4:3. Is there a simple way to change to 16:9 if I choose to do so later?

If I check the anamorphic 16:9 box it distorts the video. Can I copy the layer of boxed video to a new 16:9 sequence without running into lots of rendering?

I have a 16:9 version of the background.

Thanks

Steve Rogalinski

Return to posts index

Shonit Jain
on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:45:01 pm

David Roth Weiss,

I do not know Steve Rogalinski's software capabilities or specifically if he knew Compressor as this is just the Final Cut Pro forum, and he was going to use "clips of the internet," I just gave down-dirty-simple instructions.

I understand that MP4 is not an Apple Codec but atleast handbreak is free and can help him convert all his media to the same frame rate and resolution without knowing Compressor. I should've mentioned Compressor along with Handbreak. Also... I totally oversaw MPEG Streamclip usage. My Bad...

I did not intend on implying this as a standard workflow.

Hope this helps. Thanks for schooling me...

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Feb 9, 2011 at 1:43:28 am

[Shonit Jain] "I do not know Steve Rogalinski's software capabilities"

Quick question...because I've only worked with Final Cut Studio...can you buy FCP alone? Or does it always come bundled with the suite, including Compressor?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 9, 2011 at 1:48:47 am

[Jason Brown] "can you buy FCP alone? "

No.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Feb 7, 2011 at 7:02:59 pm

[Shonit Jain] "I suggest using handbreak & vlc (google it, they are free softwares) to convert everything to MP4. Then when you bring in the first clip fcp will ask you to change your sequence to match that clip - once you agree everything should go good.

Inside handbreak choose Apple TV pre-sets, and I also recommend that you make all your frame rates the same, as you never know if you have some European PAL clips or even American which might be in 24 or 30"

This is just such appalling advice. MP4, Apple TV presets... Why are you referring to these as FCP friendly formats?? FCP HATES these formats!

The key things to remember are:
  • FCP likes all clips in a sequence to have matching frame sizes and framerates, which should in turn match the sequence settings.

• Apple ProRes 422 is an 'Apple-friendly' codec. I suggest using that instead.

• Aspect Ratio: Depends on whether or not the source is HD or SD. The original poster needs to tell us where his source files are coming from

• The O.P.'s plan of converting to a suitable codec using MPEG Streamclip is a sensible idea. He should stick to his own advice.

Alex Elkins
    Twitter: @postbluetv
    http://www.PostBlue.tv
    Shot on RED @ 100fps, Post on FCP/Color: Capoeira Film

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
    Re: Where is this Shortcut???
    on Feb 6, 2011 at 7:05:11 pm

Up/ down arrow then enter?

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
    on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:59:08 am

I use
    • ⌘4 to select the browser window
    • arrow down,
    • return (spacebar to begin playing if desired and spacebar again to stop

and this brings a clip into the viewer. Repeat that key sequence to open the next clip in the viewer.

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
    on Feb 7, 2011 at 2:39:55 pm

Thanks, Gents,

Most helpful.

Wayne

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
    on Feb 7, 2011 at 4:24:27 pm

Hi Wayne,

You can make up your own shortcut to do this using something like Butler:
    http://manytricks.com/butler/

Butler is a seriously useful tool (as are the competition, I'm sure) that basically means you can create ANY shortcut as long as you know the key combinations to use. You just program in the shortcuts that you want to create a shortcut for, then assign that combination of keystrokes to a single key. I've created one for exactly what you describe and just have to press Page Up or Page Down to view previous/next clip. Very handy.

Butler used to be free but even so, for $20 it's not bad at all. Not sure what other tools are out there that could do the same thing as I've only needed Butler.

Alex Elkins
    Twitter: @postbluetv
    http://www.PostBlue.tv
    Shot on RED @ 100fps, Post on FCP/Color: Capoeira Film

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
    on Feb 7, 2011 at 7:37:44 pm

Will check it out, thanks,

Wayne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>