FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poor quality when playing, but fine when not. Interlacing issue?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Harding
Poor quality when playing, but fine when not. Interlacing issue?
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:13:52 pm

Hi
I am a wedding videographer and I'm having a problem that is driving me insane. To you more advanced users it may be a minor setting I have to change, and I apologize if this has been asked thousands of times, but I was unable to find an answer searching/reading the forums.

My footage looks fine (mostly) when paused, but when playing the quality seems to reduce and have an interlacing issue.

The final output will be web streaming, .m4v for Apple TV/iTunes, and also DVD (but that is just for extra copies for my client's relatives, and I'm not all that concerned with the DVD disc's quality as it makes my footage look sub par once it's compressed.)

The footage was shot on a Panasonic HMC150, 1280x720 24fps AVCHD.
I used Log and Transfer to convert it to ProRes 422 (HQ).
My sequence settings are 1280x720 (HDTV 720p)
Field dominance none
ProRes 422(HQ)

Here are two screenshots:

The 3D text has some aliasing/interlacing issue as well, however it is not the major problem. But just FYI, it was rendered as:
1920x1080 (I'm currently re-rendering it out at 1280X720 to see if that helps)
Animation codec
Fields: none
24 fps
Quicktime movie

Is there a sequence setting I have wrong? Or is it some fundamental misunderstanding I have?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Mike

http://i1.creativecow.net/u-upload.php#
http://i1.creativecow.net/u-upload.php#
EDIT: My pics didn't show up. They were jpgs well below 500kb and they showed up in the Image Upload window's right hand side. No embed codes showed up.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Poor quality when playing, but fine when not. Interlacing issue?
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:29:53 pm

Well, in the RT Dropdown menu, make sure playback is set to FULL QUALITY, and not DYNAMIC. ANd barring that, FCP does tend to reduce the quality when playing back so that it can show you all the frames, and not drop frames. If you want to see a full quality playback, that is not lowered when you press play, you need a capture card and external monitor.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Harding
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:39:37 pm

Shane,
Ha well that did it. I thought I checked that but I just realized that when I did, I was looking at frame playback below it.
It's just weird because I'm using a template that I made from the last project I did, and at no point did I change the playback quality setting. Now I feel like a complete idiot, because although I'm not a super advanced user, I'm also not a newbie.
Sorry and thank you so much, Shane!

Return to posts index

Mike Harding
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:32:45 pm

Here are the screenshots (hard to see the problem unless you click on them to enlarge):

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:47:07 pm

Yup...looks like the FCP drop in quality when it plays back. Quite normal. You won't see that when you do the final export.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]