FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime conversion crashing FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian paterson
Quicktime conversion crashing FCP
on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:38:49 pm

Hi,
I have a six minute edit in a pro res time line in FCP7 which I am trying to export using quicktime conversion. However fcp keeps crashing and I don't know why. The export settings I am using are H.264
1280 X 720, frame rate: current, Key frames automatic, Data rate automatic. Sound settings AAC,
KHZ 32.00 As far as I can recollect these settings are the same as my last export which was fine.
There are half a dozen stills in the timeline at one point. I don't know if the size or format of these would make a difference or whether some plugins like twixtor or lock&load slowmo would have an effect so I also tried making a self contained quicktime file of the whole thing and tried to export from that in a new timeline and still it crashed. I have tried about six times now and it always seems to happen after about four or five minutes in.
Any thoughts would be appreciated as I have checked and rechecked everything and I don't know what could be changed to make a difference.

Many Thanks
BRIAN

brian paterson

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Quicktime conversion crashing FCP
on Feb 4, 2011 at 7:06:53 pm

I don't know why you're having this problem Brian, but the solution is to export a self contained QT using Export>>QT Movie, then use that file as your master to make further encodes, preferably from Compressor, as QT Conversion typically proves to make encodes of inferior quality.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

brian paterson
on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:01:57 pm

Thanks David,
I guess I was sort of half right in my thinking when I made a self contained quicktime movie as my master but still FCP crashes when trying to use that master to output a file using quicktime conversion.
A few months back I developed problems opening compressor and it looks like a complete reinstall of FCP7 to sort it which I haven't had time to do so making a quicktime file ( to upload to vimeo) is the easiest way right now.
Thanks anyway for replying. I am going to try trashing my preferences next to see if that has any effect.
Finally.. am I right in thinking that if I use a self contained quicktime file as my master it would eliminate any differences between still images in the original timeline whether they are jpg or tiff or 300 dpi or 72 dpi. etc.

Regards
BRIAN.

brian paterson

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Feb 7, 2011 at 1:24:33 pm

Create selfcontained quicktime,
Use compressor for creating a H264,

Quicktime conversion sucks. :)

Return to posts index

Chris Brandt
on Feb 9, 2011 at 4:35:04 am

I've had this problem many times, before, and the culprit has always been an m2v file located in the FCP sequence. I'd check for corrupted files in your sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]