FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere to Final Cut. Worth it?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aj Reuter
Premiere to Final Cut. Worth it?
on Feb 4, 2011 at 3:59:20 am

I am a junior in highschool, and am in my TV2 college class.

This semester, we are focusing on private projects. I use premiere, but i cant seem to get good DVD burning, and quality i want with it. I have a sony Hf-20, that records to AVCHD 1080p

Im curious if its worth the extra grand to buy an Imac that will run final cut for small projects decently.

I plan on using these in my portfolio for colleges. I know final cut for the most part already, i used it for my video production back in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade (ive been interested in video production for a while)

sorry for all the typos, written on my phone :(

Return to posts index

Dave Davin
Re: Premiere to Final Cut. Worth it?
on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:28:55 am

Hi Aj

I'm an FCP user for a long time now and I'm hooked on the system, but of course like all programs they have their positives & negitives in comparison with others...

Check this video that puts FCP up against Premiere

it might help you out

Dave

Dave Davin
Creative Director

RAIC Productions
http://www.raicproductions.com

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 4, 2011 at 2:25:05 pm

Dreadful shoot out. Couldn't believe the FCP editor was doing everything with drag and drop. He's used the color corrector filter, not 3-way, which is realtime. He's clearly uncomfortable with the computer, which has been set up with Expose hot spots. He's dragging clumps of timeline to make room for clips. Dragging whole clips into the timeline and dragging to cut them up. Doesn't know how to do a ripple delete. If one guy gets to send to AE the FCP editor should have been allowed to send to Motion for the cartoon effect. It looked like he did the PIP in the viewer rather than with image+wireframe right in the canvas. It looked like he added transitions individually rather than selecting a section and pressing a shortcut. A Premiere evangelist against a run of the mill editor. Maybe Soule against Nick Meyers would have been interesting. This was a pretty bad display and nothing like what you would see from an experienced FCP editor. He did pretty well considering his technique. The rendering at the end is really what killed it.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Frank Black
on Feb 14, 2011 at 1:13:26 am

Hi Dave --

what do you mean by "The rendering at the end is really what killed it.?

i tried to look toward the end but am not finding what you mean. can you please explain, this is so important for me. Thanks

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:18:10 am

If you watched the video toward the end the FCP editor had to spend a great deal of time rendering for output.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Frank Black
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:43:27 pm

Tom, sorry about the delay and thanks for your response. Not sure why I called you Dave, very sorry about that.

Thanks again. It seems that every forum I check, rendering is the issue discussed when it comes to fcp. I still want nothing but fcp but sometimes imagine myself being totally surprised by the rendering.

Any additional thoughts on this? Do you use fcp as your main editor and does the rendering really bother you.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:51:56 pm

Rendering doesn't bother me much because it's the end part of the process. I almost always work in Unlimited RT and never render while I go, but only at the end and I don't have to watch the computer do it.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Frank Black
on Feb 21, 2011 at 7:52:02 pm

Tom, what you just said kinda eliminates the worry about rendering entirely. Can it really be done this way? From my research, I gathered that rendering has to be done with every small addition you make if you wanna see right away how the addition came out -- like adding a title, for example.

I've been researching FCP vs Vegas for a long while now, and a lot has been said in favor of FCP, but it seems to me that the differences being mentioned are ones that I'll never even notice, and this leaves the rendering issue the only one to be concerned with. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any and all direction you can give me at your convenience. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:11:35 pm

If your media and your sequence settings match no rendering is required. A title should be in realtime. You might have to render for output but very few titles need rendering for playback.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Frank Black
on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:16:35 am

Tom would you please explain what you mean by media/sequence settings?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:30:58 am

Sequence are created with a certain set of specifications which you define in sequence settings under A/V settings in the FCP menu. The media has certain specifications. Whatever it is that was shot and captured. The two have to match.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Frank Black
on Feb 22, 2011 at 3:52:12 pm

Thanks a lot Tom, I have a basic idea now and I'll explore further.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:58:40 am

I would say that your issue isn't with an editor per se but with getting a good final output. I've always felt that encoding was still more of an art than science and I deal with questions on encoding all of the time. I would do research on why you're not getting the final output you want and then worry about which editor you want to use. A starting point is to look through Adobe Media Encoder and the many presets that are available. Creative Cow also has a DVD on encoding that is available and good.

In the end, FCP is a capable editor. So is Premiere Pro. Use what feels best.

Dennis - Adobe guy (literally)

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:55:30 pm

Aj -

You won't get better DVDs just by going to final cut, or Apple for that matter. There are differences in the 2 systems, and I prefer Final Cut, but not because of better output.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Aj Reuter
on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:32:16 pm

the problem is, i will.

Because fcp has the burn to disk right on it. I ONLY have premiere and after effects. no encore or anything...

that and i love FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]