FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting rid of zebra bars look in a clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Cervarich
Getting rid of zebra bars look in a clip
on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:37:54 pm

Earlier I posted a query for suggestions to eliminate what I described as a zebra bars look that is occurring in clips taken from mini-DV footage. We secured a mini-DV camera to the bumper of a truck and drove on the Interstate creating a neat visual. My problem is that the white lines on the highway have a tendency to look like zebra bars or stair steps. I noticed that this was most likely to occur when the line was in full sunlight and the truck was moving at high speed so the problem might have something to do with over exposure and vibration. I am working in FCP7 using a MacPro 8 core. I only have the plug-ins that came with the system. Is there one that might help smooth out this effect? If not, is there one that I can download that will do the trick?

Here is a screenshot that has the effect in it. If you can't read it, let me know. This is the first time I have tried to put a picture in a post.
/Users/cervarichjr/Desktop/Screen shot 2011-02-03 at 5.26.09 PM.png

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: Getting rid of zebra bars look in a clip
on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:56:33 pm

Oh dear.... Ok no the picture won't work because it's a local link to your desktop. To display it in here one way is to upload the pic to a pic site like tinypic then insert the URL like this: [IMG]url[/IMG]
It sounds like interlacing to me. Try the deinterlace filter, see if it helps a bit.
Is the 8core mac pro yours?

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:26:23 pm

Yes. This is my 8 core Mac.
Thanks for the tip about interlacing. I will try it.

Return to posts index

Dave Davin
on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:11:13 pm

Hey Frank

What speed was the shutter on your camera at?

Dave Davin
Creative Director

RAIC Productions
http://www.raicproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:49:14 am

Uhhh, were kinda shooting blind here without a screenshot - but if I were a betting man I'd say you're looking at the footage on your Mac monitor, and not on an external monitor. If this is true, it may be simple interlacing. This is normal, especially if your canvas is set to 100%.

If this is the case, don't worry. Depending on your deliverables, there are ways to eliminate this.

BTW can you see this on moving footage or is it only visible when paused?

Jason

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:23:26 pm

I can see this in moving pics and still as well. I am looking at this on my Samsung monitor and not a reliable external monitor. Several people have suggested interlacing might be the problem. I will try that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 4, 2011 at 5:56:43 pm

[Frank Cervarich] "Several people have suggested interlacing might be the problem. I will try that."

Why does everyone and their dog think that interlacing is such a big problem? Get the right monitor to view the footage you shot, or you won't be able to accurately judge the nature of the motion in your shot. Doing otherwise is like wearing blinders.

If you deinterlace, you won't have those lines you see on a computer monitor, but you'll probably lose half your vertical resolution. Does that sound like a good thing?

If you're going to cut exclusively on computer monitors, then you need to suck it up, get a new camera and shoot progressive scan. At least then you'll have an accurate representation of the motion.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:02:14 pm

I will certainly do so in the future (use progressive mode). But the footage I am talking about is already in the can. I will look at the footage on the best monitor I have, which is a low end Sony monitor that I bought at least eight years ago.

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:25:21 pm

My camera was set at normal video speed, 29.97.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]