FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcp 7.03 upgrade

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron van hemert
fcp 7.03 upgrade
on Feb 3, 2011 at 4:39:12 pm

I have downloaded fcp 7.03 upgrade and imnstalled it (i think). However the fcp screen still shows it as 7.0 and I cannot locate 7.03 anywhere on my mac. Is it in use, where do I find it to activate it?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: fcp 7.03 upgrade
on Feb 3, 2011 at 4:53:34 pm

You really should use Apple>>Software Update, as there are many times when FCP updates cannot be installed until certain other software elements are updated first. This may be why the 7.0.3 update did not actually install in your case.

Final Cut Pro>>About Final Cut Pro will show you the current version, but the opening splash screen definitely shows the current version that's installed.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Feb 3, 2011 at 5:18:15 pm

It has been my experience that using the Apple/Software update feature in itself is a "bag of hurt".

While it's fine to use it to see what software needs updating, I've always done the actual downloads straight from Apple's website. Especially any ProApps.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 3, 2011 at 6:14:47 pm

[John Kaley] "It has been my experience that using the Apple/Software update feature in itself is a "bag of hurt"."

Well, I disagree with you John, for several reasons. First, because as I pointed out to Ron, there are often requirements for updating that most of us don't even know about, that the "smart" update features of Apple Software Update simply handles automatically.

And second, there should never be such a thing as a "bag of hurt" for anyone who follows the basic tenets of safe and intelligent professional system management that I have been advocating here on the FCP Forum for about the last six plus years. Since you're new here John, you can be excused this time because you wouldn't have any way of knowing why I say this, so I'll explain it to you.

No one, especially a professional, should ever update the OS or FCP without having a fresh bootable system clone on stand by, either on an external firewire drive, or in one of the empty bays in a MacPro.

If you follow this advice religiously, that completely takes the so-called "bag of hurt" out of play, period, end of story. By simply adhering to this basic tenet, no one ever need worry about how they update, what they update, or any of the myriad other bad things that could ever befall your system.

Unlike Windows, this is so very simple on Macs that there's no excuse for no doing it. Should Apple issue a bad update that fouls your system, or if something goes awry during an update, whatever, having a clone at the ready means that you can be back up and running in minutes.

So, back to the point... Apple Software Update really is smarter than most of us, and so it's less likely, not more likely to create a mistake for most users. And, whether you disagree with that or not, no one's process should be guided by fear, because smarter and better system management will take fear completely out of the equation.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

ron van hemert
on Feb 3, 2011 at 6:06:22 pm

Thanks for your reply. I did download directly from the Apple site.... Still have that problem. The download is there, but when I click on it to install, have followed the instrcutions and it says "installation complete" but give no further indication about what to do with it. When I search for the program to use.... the is only the installation of it again. The actual FCP program still reflects 7.0 not the update version. I would have thought it would be automatic, like other Apple applications seem to be. Thanks again, Ron

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 3, 2011 at 6:17:23 pm

[ron van hemert] "I did download directly from the Apple site...."

That's the problem Ron.

Click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner of your machine and use Software Update...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Feb 3, 2011 at 6:45:34 pm

Go to the Apple Icon.
Select 'About this mac'
Select 'more info'
Drop down arrow to 'Software'
Select 'Applications'
This list should show the current version of all installed apps.

It might list that you have both versions of FCP installed and your alias is simply pointing to the old version in an "Applications Backup" folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]