FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro having trouble with # sign in clip names.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Burghart
Final Cut Pro having trouble with # sign in clip names.
on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:25:31 am

I'm working on a short doc, that I just shot in Cotonou, Benin on the new Panasonic AF-100 (which I loved by the way). The camera names clips using the Clip #1, Clip #2, etc... format. My assistant editor is claiming Final Cut goes haywire with clips that use the # sign. I've never had this problem. and to be honest don't believe in it. Has anyone else ever heard of this? My assistant want's to extract the # sign from ll the clip names, which I'm highly against because we're cutting in ProRes Proxy and plan to up res to HQ when we are finished. Thanks for any help or insight.

Jake Burghart
DP
VBS.TV

Jake

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Final Cut Pro having trouble with # sign in clip names.
on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:42:06 am

I don't have that problem with final cut, but if the files ever need to be edited on a pc or copied to a pc formatted disk it definitely won't work.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 3, 2011 at 1:35:31 am

If you look in the FCP manual and search "illegal characters" you will see that the # sign is indeed among the set of characters to be avoided in file/clip names.

You may get away with using many of those characters for years, but some day you will be bitten by them. The problems often show up when creating OMFs, EDLs, or when round tripping between applications. So, you may never have an idea why these will fail, or why they will have errors, but now you know.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 3, 2011 at 2:35:21 am

Shouldn't be a problem - once in FCP, even if you change the name, the original QuickTime files will be referenced.

If you want to 'play it safe' - there's an app called Name Mangler - and you can quickly remove the # sign from the shots (and later the higher quality ones.)

But you have to do this before you import.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]